Trouble with rear fan clicking/no temp change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with rear fan clicking/no temp change

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I think this is mostly an actuator problem from reading the other threads on this. My symptoms are:

1. Fan only works on speed "4" and has been that way for a few years.
2. On speed "0" the fan makes a thumping noise in the rear cargo area.
3. On speed 1, 2, or 3 the noise will SOMETIMES go away.
4. If the temp control is all the way COLD or all the way HOT, the thumping sound happens. If you run the fan on 4, the only way to get the thumping sound to go away is to turn from COLD to a few marks on the dial toward warm. Same thing if you have it on HOT-you have to back it off a few notches to get the thump to go away.
5. Didn't notice until the weather turned cold recently, but now the rear vents only blow COLD air no matter what the temp control is set to. In the summer, it will blow cold air from the A/C but now it is blowing cold air that I assume is outside air.

For symptom #1, I'd been planning to replace the blower motor resistor to fix this problem and just never got around to it.
For 2-5, I'm thinking actuator.

Anyone think the blower motor resistor would be a waste of money/time and that the actuator would fix symptom #1 as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody has any thoughts on this?

The blower only working on speed #4 is symptomatic of a bad blower motor resistor. Check your PM. I have sent instructions for changing it.

The other symptoms sound like a bad Blend Door Actuator:

If you hear a clicking noise coming from the driver side rear interior panel, it could be the Rear Blend Door Actuator.

picture.php

Check out these threads:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205370

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199644

Good luck with the fix & Happy Exploring. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thanks BigRondo!

Thanks BigRondo!

You're welcome. Sorry about the delay in posting. I could have sworn that I posted in this thread a couple of days ago. :dunno:

I don't know about the fan problem, but i had the same thing going on with mine as far as the temp dial. It was the blend door actuator. I kept putting it off for about 4 or 5 years because I thought it was going to be a PITA. Well I finally went and got the part and took off (partially) the rear panel on driver's side (cargo area). Took 3 or 4 bolts out that held on heater and A/C assembly (care not to pull out too much), and I was able to get to the screws that held on these things, there 2, one is for temp control and other is for the door that diverts air from top to bottom I think. Turn on the system, set temp dial so it thumps, and before you take them off put your hand on them and you'll know which one you have to replace. It helps to hold a small mirror in there so you could see where screws are. All together working time in truck only took me about 20 minutes, made me sick that I waited so long to fix it, but that's the story of my life. I'll try including a link that help me a little. Good luck.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1844079#post1844079

http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html

Brian

I need to do mine as well. Have been putting it off since I haven't needed heat yet, but that's gonna change soon. I also figured this was going to be a huge PITA. I think I'm going to look into replacing it this weekend.

I used a Ford actuator for the front, as opposed to an aftermarket, because I didn't want it to fail prematurely. I'm thinking aftermarket for the rear. Tarpman, where to you get your rear actuator? How much was it?

Thanks - Rondo

Ended up getting it at Napa it was about $60ish. They are different parts for the two actuators. I went to Oreillys first, they had one but it was wrong and the guy said the other was dealer only, so I went to Napa and they had the right one, take it out and take the part with you to make sure you get the right one. I just drove with it taken apart as its my only vehicle. I think it had a + shape to it and other one had * shape or vice versa. Can't remember for sure sorry. But I will say my kids loved me for doing it because I did it when it was really hot. Don't put it off, it's so easy.

Ended up getting it at Napa it was about $60ish. They are different parts for the two actuators. I went to Oreillys first, they had one but it was wrong and the guy said the other was dealer only, so I went to Napa and they had the right one, take it out and take the part with you to make sure you get the right one. I just drove with it taken apart as its my only vehicle. I think it had a + shape to it and other one had * shape or vice versa. Can't remember for sure sorry. But I will say my kids loved me for doing it because I did it when it was really hot. Don't put it off, it's so easy.

Thank you for the info & the inspiration Sir. :salute:

Like I said, be careful not to pull out too much on the assembly because there are heater hoses and A/C lines in there. You can do it without undoing any of that.

Brian

Like I said, be careful not to pull out too much on the assembly because there are heater hoses and A/C lines in there. You can do it without undoing any of that.

Brian

Duly noted. :thumbsup:

I smell a write-up. :bounce:

Back