Troubleshooting cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting cruise control

smoore

Reaction score
I have a '93 Explorer and the cruise control worked off and on intermittently and finally quite working. I went through a bunch of threads on this site and I think I narrowed it down to a bad cruise amplifier or a bad servo. I checked the fuses, the horn works, vacuum lines seem properly connected and good, and the vacuum dump valve is properly adjusted.

How can I narrow it down between the cruise amplifier and the servo--are there any tests I can run or anything to look for to tell if one or the other is good or bad? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

smoore,

I've got two Ex's that have had cruise issues - both have ended up being bad amps.
Plus, I picked up one already bad amp at the yard.

There is a way to test the working of the servo - I did it before I finally tried a swap of amps and discovered the "new" one was bad too.
I'll look it up and PM it to you.

But my money is on the amp.

Any one have a pic of the cruise amp? I would like to get my cruise working again!

Mine was the AMP by the glove box. Installed one from a F-150 years ago & it still works. Rang out all the switches first.

Any pics of this part? Sorry new to this era of explorers

JD,

I think I've got an extra one in my tool bag - I'll check on it tomorrow.
It's mounted above the glove box and has two rectangular, multi-wire plugs plugged into it.
Most I've seen have been mostly green in color - about 6" x 4" x 1.5".
(But I think the spare one I have is red.)
It's got a small bracket attached to it that mounts with two screws - one on each side of the catch for the glove box door.

By the time I wrote all that, I could have went out and got my spare.
But already got my feet propped up and the door locked. :)

I know what your talking about now! Any way to check these?

No way i know of to check the box itself. You should first check the wiring & switches to verify that they are good first. Then, look at the box you have & just hit a junkyard and grab a box out of a explorer or truck looking for a match.

Thanks to this forum and this thread I fixed my cruise control that failed intermittently. Otherwise I would have been at a total loss. Thanks, everyone, and I am happy to give back the following that my be helpful to someone here.

I removed the green amplifier in the glove box and inspected the circuit integrity on the board first with my naked eye and then with a jeweler's magnifying glass. To my naked eye the circuits looked OK but under magnification I found a tiny crack. I resoldered the cracked circuit area and it is now working fine. Be sure to use as much magnification you can to inspect the circuit integrity.

How do you test the cruise control module/transducer ?

I have a 91 Eddie Bauer
How do you test the cruise control module/transducer ?
Mine is black, not green or red.

Thank you

Good deal. Feedback of the fix is always appreciated...otherwise is all problems without verified solutions

Good deal. Feedback of the fix is always appreciated...otherwise is all problems without verified solutions

Back