Troubleshooting drivetrain issue on 2004 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting drivetrain issue on 2004 AWD

COcz

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
97, 99, 04 Ex V8
Hi everybody. I appologise in advance for the length of the post. I just picked up a 2004 explorer limited 4.6 awd that supposedly needed a new transefer case. The previous owner had gotten the fluid changed in the tranny and tcase to try and make it last a little longer. I had the opportunity to drive it for about 30 minutes and then blow up something in the transmission or transfer case.

When driving everything seemed fine except for a high speed/low impulse vibration on decel at high speed and a serious clunk going into drive or reverse. We pulled up to a stop sign and went to accelerate turning right and boom, something gave. It then kept running while going nowhere and making a strange whining sound. It would grind if you tried to shift from d/r straight to park, but going into neutral first let it spin down to not grind. It would roll freely in park.

After towing it home, I jacked up the offending vehicle and looked around. Everything seemed normal except for a fair amount of grease and dirt around the tcase front output. I moved the driveshafts by hand and they would move together with a skipping sensation on both shafts.

I drained the tcase and the fluid looked brand new as it should. I pulled the shafts and tcase and the case seemed to be leaking some from the input seal. The tranny output side looks nice and clean except the shaft is kind of rusty. I ran the vehicle in forward and reverse and the output shaft ran in each direction fine. Turned it off in park and I can't move the shaft by hand

I pulled apart the transfer case on my bench and started really looking at all the parts. Everything seems fine, but i'll do new seals anyways. So I pull the input shaft out and a giant pile of rust falls out. The splines that mate with the tranny are toast.

Could this be the only problem? If so, how hard is it to change the transmission output shaft? Should I replace the viscous coupler even though it didn't seem to be the problem?

Thanks for reading that novel.
Chris

To replace the output shaft the trans has to come completely apart, The coupling is more than likely good. They go bad most of the time when different size tires are ran together on vehicle.

Back