Troubleshooting Keyless Remote/Keypad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting Keyless Remote/Keypad

Redlos

Reaction score
City, State
Gonzales, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
My '96 Explorer XLT auto-lock/keyless remote mysteriously stopped working!

I've already read MANY threads on this problem...so here's where I am:

I know the factory code and it won't work

I've tried:
1. Turn the ignition key to ON.
2. Press the power door unlock control three times.
3. Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF.
4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
5. Turn the ignition key back to ON. The doors will lock and unlock.
6. Press the power door unlock switch. The horn will chirp once upon successful toggling of the Autolock feature.
7. Turn ignition to OFF. The horn will chirp to confirm procedure is complete.

The horn chirped but the locks DIDN'T cycle.

I've tried:entering the permanent code (w/in 5 seconds, depress and release 3/4 while holding 7/8 key....NADA

I'm completely stumped...is there a fuse I don't know about? None are listed in the owners manual/Chilton's/fuse panels for keyless entry or auto-lock!
Is my module broken?? I've already unplugged/replugged the wiring harnesses/cables!

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

some HELP PLeeeeease!!:)

The plug/unplug of the harness might be the same as resetting power, but before you attack the problem with a screwdriver and new parts, try unplugging the negative cable on the battery for at least 15min. It's the best (and simplest) reset availible - it resets everything.

Also, go through the fuse boxes and check them - even if the owner's manual doesn't say which fuse it is - it MUST be fused.

Thanks V8Boatbuilder...haven't heard of that tip...but have only had the EX for a year....I'll give it a shot and see. :)

So what kinda boats do you build? anything I could use down here in LA to get me some more Reds/Specks??

OK disconnected the neg battery terminal for 20 min....then tried the procedures listed above. NOTHING...Hell now the horn doesn't even beep after the process!! Any suggestions? How do I test the module? How much are they?

I forgot to mention, the keypad doesn't light up anymore and when I press keypad buttons the interior lights don't come on either? PLEASE HELP!! Stumped in LA!!

Originally posted by Redlos
OK disconnected the neg battery terminal for 20 min....then tried the procedures listed above. NOTHING...Hell now the horn doesn't even beep after the process!! Any suggestions? How do I test the module? How much are they?

I forgot to mention, the keypad doesn't light up anymore and when I press keypad buttons the interior lights don't come on either? PLEASE HELP!! Stumped in LA!!
Sounds like maybe your battery is running low on power. Are the lights dimming when you start the truck up? I think you may just need a new battery, which run fairly cheaply these days.

One year old battery that hasn't displayed any problems...starts on first crank everytime..I WISH it was something that simple (although it normally is the simplest thing)!!
I'm completely baffled...I REALLY think my module just crapped out...but don't know how to test it....not quite sure I wanna chance it and spend the $ for a new/used one before actually testing it. ....

What's ya'lls opinion on this article? Could it be my problem?

Dead Link Removed

PLEEEEASE help. Thanks again

Come on people....I know everyone has an opinion....DON"T YOU???

it looks like i may have this same problem. did you end up getting it fixed? also, did you lose power mirrors too?

Back