The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource for over 25 years!
Performance upgrades, maintenance, modifications and problem solving. Covering the Explorer, ST, Ecoboost, Lincoln Aviator, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda Navajo, Ford Ranger, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.
Ok, so the dead sensor was the DPFE. It just so happened that the exhaust gas line came off (The nipple was pretty short from a previous hose going bad) and burnt a hole thru it.
The mechanic looking at it has ran out of time for now. In a week or so, he is going to set it up on the scope at hiw work and see what he can make of it.
He says the cylinder feels like it has good compression, although he hasn't screwed a tester in to it yet.
So, while I have the truck, what do I do next? Do I get an led test light, and poke a couple of needles in the harness at the #3 injector and start the motor? (Brown/yellow stripe) and red wire. The flashing would tell me if signal is consistant.
Think is, there is no percievable miss over about 1000 rpm. I know............I still think injector, but that has been changed out.
Final update to close this off. Pulled both heads, Took the valves out of the one good head, and the new replacement head.
I did a minor port and polish. I left intake ports alone. I took the sharp edges off the valve bowls, polished the exhaust ports, and polished combustion chambers.
Then the machine shop shaved off .020 and installed new si stainless steel swirl polished valves. The heads were vacuum tested. The valves needed to be 'trued' to seal properly.
Heads are back on, and my motor is running good and strong with better gas mileage.
Machine shop: $350.00, Valves:$150.00, gaskets:$150.00 Head Bolts: $50.00: Total about $700.00 with about 10 hrs labour.