• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Troubling pumping gas

06MountaineerPA

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Recently I been having a tough time filling my fuel tank. It keeps clicking the pump off with as alittle as 1 gallon gas put in. Ill start filling and after about $3 put in, it will click off. It will keep shutting off many times until I know I filled it. What is causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
From time to time I run across this problem when the pump I am using has a high output of gas. It triggers the automatic shutoff from the pump. Does this happen all the time or just at a specific station you visit?

06MountaineerPA

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Any and all stations I have used.

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4.6 3v
Mine does it sometimes, too.

Probably 3 out of 5 times. Usually have to finesse it a bit, ease the nozzle out an inch or so before it'll stop shutting itself off. More of a minor annoyance rather than a pain in the ass..

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Either vent or evap in my experience

Megablue999

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT Ironman
I know there was a recall on the "Easy-fill" capless fuel nozzle for 2 years of the 06-10 Explorer series, not sure what the specifics were, but if you have a capless refueling nozzle it may be worth it to see if this recall applied to you vehicle via VIN number. Just a thought....

c47@pacbell.net

Reaction score
City, State
Tracy, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
Recently I been having a tough time filling my fuel tank. It keeps clicking the pump off with as alittle as 1 gallon gas put in. Ill start filling and after about $3 put in, it will click off. It will keep shutting off many times until I know I filled it. What is causing this?
An '06 Ford 500 we had did this constantly, it was annoying. I checked the hose leading to the tank for kinks and even scoped it looking for some sort of blockage inside. Never found anything, it would auto shuoff about very 1-1.5 gallons unless you filled pretty slowly. Not much help, but the resolution was we traded for a '19 Edge! My '07 Sport Trac has never had the issue.

Leck G

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
I had a 92 Ranger with that problem. A short piece (roughly 2” long) of 1 1/2” - 2” PVC placed over the nozzle before filling helped out.
It backs the nozzle off from filler hose to prevent the auto shutoff.

Leck G

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
I had a 92 Ranger with that problem. A short piece (roughly 2” long) of 1 1/2” - 2” PVC placed over the nozzle before filling helped out.
It backs the nozzle off from filler hose to prevent the auto shutoff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers 3