• Register Today It's free!

Troubling pumping gas

06MountaineerPA

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer Premier
Recently I been having a tough time filling my fuel tank. It keeps clicking the pump off with as alittle as 1 gallon gas put in. Ill start filling and after about $3 put in, it will click off. It will keep shutting off many times until I know I filled it. What is causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From time to time I run across this problem when the pump I am using has a high output of gas. It triggers the automatic shutoff from the pump. Does this happen all the time or just at a specific station you visit?

Any and all stations I have used.

Mine does it sometimes, too.

Probably 3 out of 5 times. Usually have to finesse it a bit, ease the nozzle out an inch or so before it'll stop shutting itself off. More of a minor annoyance rather than a pain in the ass..

Either vent or evap in my experience

I know there was a recall on the "Easy-fill" capless fuel nozzle for 2 years of the 06-10 Explorer series, not sure what the specifics were, but if you have a capless refueling nozzle it may be worth it to see if this recall applied to you vehicle via VIN number. Just a thought....

Recently I been having a tough time filling my fuel tank. It keeps clicking the pump off with as alittle as 1 gallon gas put in. Ill start filling and after about $3 put in, it will click off. It will keep shutting off many times until I know I filled it. What is causing this?
An '06 Ford 500 we had did this constantly, it was annoying. I checked the hose leading to the tank for kinks and even scoped it looking for some sort of blockage inside. Never found anything, it would auto shuoff about very 1-1.5 gallons unless you filled pretty slowly. Not much help, but the resolution was we traded for a '19 Edge! My '07 Sport Trac has never had the issue.

I had a 92 Ranger with that problem. A short piece (roughly 2” long) of 1 1/2” - 2” PVC placed over the nozzle before filling helped out.
It backs the nozzle off from filler hose to prevent the auto shutoff.

I had a 92 Ranger with that problem. A short piece (roughly 2” long) of 1 1/2” - 2” PVC placed over the nozzle before filling helped out.
It backs the nozzle off from filler hose to prevent the auto shutoff.

Back