• Register Today It's free!

Truck doesn't move

98WARanger

Reaction score
City, State
East Wenatchee, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT Ranger
I am interested in buying a 1992 Explorer Sport. I talked to the owner and he said the truck starts up, runs but doesn't move. Here is a direct quote from him, "Im thinking one of the drive bands in the tranny is shot. i was shifting from reverse to drive after backing out of the parking lot and it lurched forward and then nothing the rpms revved up but it wouldn't move." I am sure this is a transmission problem. What I want to know is how would I fix this and what would it cost? Is it something I can do myself with some mechanical knowledge and some help?

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be something as simple as low tranny fluid

yeah I figured that is one of my options. I guess I'm look at worst case scenarios here as well.

What are the drive bands? What does it take to replace or repair them? I saw a thread regarding repairing them by turning a bolt a certain direction a certain amount of turns. Is this the same band? Also are drive band in automatic or manual transmissions or both?

The "bands" referred to, are the friction bands that serve as the "clutch" in an automatic transmission (that's a very simplified explanation and not completely accurate), you might get lucky and all you need is to adjust one or more of the bands but there's a good chance that one of the bands are broken or you have a hydraulic or electrical part failure inside of the transmission, perhaps a servo has gone out. Unless you are familiar with the inner workings, you'd be better off having a professional diagnose it.

I have a guy that would more than willing to look at it and tell me what it is, after I buy it. The problem is I don't really want to buy it if it's going to take a lot of money to fix. I'm sure the people that own it now have had it looked at and have a pretty good idea what it's going to cost to fix it and that is why they have it for $500 obo. I was just hoping this could be a good bargain for me.

Also sorry about my ignorance but what is a servo?

Thanks for the help.

When the transmission is in park and the engine is off, can you push the vehicle forward/backwards? And I'm assuming this is a 4wd?

Yes it is a 4wd. I'm not sure I but I can find out about pushing it while in park with engine off. What does this show?

Well if you can move it while in Park, then the problem might be the transfer case.

oh OK, I will ask the owner and see what he says.

Back