Truck dying under load

Ilikemice

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Midlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I had to leave the Explorer in a hedge this morning. It idles great but under ANY load it just dies. It'll "drive" under idle and if I really stomp on it.

Last night I sealed my air box up to try to fix my rough idle. The idle used to surge from around 200-1500rpm. Sealing the air box worked beautifully. The idle hits 1k and stays there. The filter was falling down into the box and the lid wasn't sealing, just sitting on the top.

I also had the battery out for about 30 mins to clean the terminals etc and I also took the IAC valve off to check it but put it back on afterwards. Didn't touch anything or need to clean it.

After all this I idled it a bit and it was great but didn't drive it until this morning. I'm typing this at work during lunch. I had to borrow my dad's car to get here!

Is this just the car "learning"? I appreciate it needs to re-learn after having the battery out for the 30 mins I was only able to go up the road, where it died and died and died, then round the corner then I panicked and had to run home to get another car before I was late for work.

I will give it some time idling then try to drive it tonight. I really hope it just needs to learn. I feel bad for posting here but it's got me stumped. I loosened the air box to see if that'd help it if it was somehow suffocating but it didn't do anything.

Cheers everyone! Please call me an idiot because I need to let it sort itself out. I hope that's the case! :(

Specs!

1997 4.0 SOHC UK spec

Fail.

Next time I mess with the intake tube and filter box I'll plug BOTH vac lines back in.

It shows I'd rather panic and run away rather than do a roadside diagnostic :(

Back