Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26 | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26

^^^^I have an excursion for a part time tow rig as well. How do like the hypertech tune? Was thinking about getting something but I don't tow with is that much. Got a tune on the Merc, it is okay. But I haven't tested it off road yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to say it but i'm out...had some work pop up that I can't turn down right now. Sat night might be a possibility but i'm not holding my breath.

Today, I am washing the RV and Explorer, fueling them, propane for the RV, general pre-trip check out (tire pressure, fluids, lights) and packing tools. The drive for fuel does double duty as a check ride.

Stic-O. You want a spare F-150 D44 long side axle shaft? I got no use for it. If so, I can toss it in the RV.

Sent from my XT907 using Forum Runner

Got the RV and Explorer washed, and fueled the RV. Checked the RV, no issues. Noticed while checking the Explorer out that the front wheel bearings have a little play. Play is even on both sides and minor. I haven't been in the hubs since the SAS so they might have just gotten worked in as everything in there is new. I will pull them apart first thing tomorrow.

^^^^I have an excursion for a part time tow rig as well. How do like the hypertech tune? Was thinking about getting something but I don't tow with is that much. Got a tune on the Merc, it is okay. But I haven't tested it off road yet.

Our Excursion with the V10 works pretty well as a Tow Rig. We have a 26ft Toy Hauler, which when has a full gas tank (60 gallons for generator and fuel station) and water, weighs in at over 10,000 lbs. The Hypertech tune doesn't give it extreme power like a tune would on a Diesel, but it does give a noticeable boost in power when running premium. I can also adjust the shift points, shift stiffness, and rev limiter to make towing more pleasurable. Its still be no means fast, but it does get up and moving rather quickly for the amount of weight its pulling around.

Our Excursion with the V10 works pretty well as a Tow Rig. We have a 26ft Toy Hauler, which when has a full gas tank (60 gallons for generator and fuel station) and water, weighs in at over 10,000 lbs. The Hypertech tune doesn't give it extreme power like a tune would on a Diesel, but it does give a noticeable boost in power when running premium. I can also adjust the shift points, shift stiffness, and rev limiter to make towing more pleasurable. Its still be no means fast, but it does get up and moving rather quickly for the amount of weight its pulling around.

Thanks, I knew I wouldn't get 100 hp/100 ftlbs out of it but was just curious how the shift points reacted. I'm somewhere between 7500 and 10000 for weight depending on whether its just the merc or fully loaded. I need to see how it tows down the freeway, which is mostly where I would tow. So far I've only towed to OW once which is a harder drive and this weekend it will be truckhaven which is the worst tow possible from my location.

Hate to say it but i'm out...had some work pop up that I can't turn down right now. Sat night might be a possibility but i'm not holding my breath.

Dave you gotta show..I will come out and help if that makes the difference of you showing or not

We need 4wd Rangers and no one out here is like yours..

Thanks for the offer Ted but im starting today with a new paint co and they are swamped. I'll be putting in long hours this week as well as on sat. After a dismal last few mo's of work I can use the money.

Some of us are manly enough to walk into Walgreens and buy nail polish... :)

I have multiple bottles of multiple colors of nail polish.. I use them on different manly things, like bolts and even on some of my guns.

Next time I see your rig, I'll have to put some bright green nail polish on some bolts for you :)

~Mark

..I can see having a bright color for your gun sights but seriously, how many bottles of nail polish can a man have?..:wtf:

..Liquid paper and white out work well except on gun sights..:D

..I can see having a bright color for your gun sights but seriously, how many bottles of nail polish can a man have?..:wtf:

..Liquid paper and white out work well except on gun sights..:D

I have 4 bottles of the green I like, 1 bottle of green I don't like (came with glitter too).. and a bottle of red that I've had in the tool box for years..

I used to use whiteout/liquid paper on my front sight but many steel targets (in competition) are white, so it end up white on white.. I use Bright green since it shows up well on white targets (steel) and on the brown paper targets used by IDPA and USPSA.

Also, whiteout doesn't seem to hold up to cleaning while I can go almost an entire season without having to re-do the green on the front sight. Even the black sharpie on my rear sight has to be touched up after a couple cleanings...

I've also used that bright green to color fill on a gun or 2 too...

So, This real man has 7 bottles of nail polish. and I have bright green shemaghs that match my front sight too that I wear at the matches when it's hot out. :p:

On the subject of truckhaven.. You guys better take and post lots of pics/videos.. It's driving me nuts that I can't go on this trip.. I can't wait for January so I can go on that trip.. I already warned work, and Yolanda that I'm going wheeling..

~Mark

Got back from fishing trip last night. Had a little fender bender with the trailer, its going in for repair today, bent a spring. Zukmam had to drive Icarus home from Bishop. Icarus got quite the workout hitting every dirt road and a few not so road tracks. Brought home a few trout, can we say fish tacos Sat night?

Thanks, I knew I wouldn't get 100 hp/100 ftlbs out of it but was just curious how the shift points reacted. I'm somewhere between 7500 and 10000 for weight depending on whether its just the merc or fully loaded. I need to see how it tows down the freeway, which is mostly where I would tow. So far I've only towed to OW once which is a harder drive and this weekend it will be truckhaven which is the worst tow possible from my location.

I haven't run any sort of tune in a while, but when I get it back after the trip I want to lower the shift point in some hope of getting better mileage around town. 7 MPG just won't cut it. I would say as far as power goes, expect a 20-30HP gain. Its not a lot but it is noticeable.

I haven't run any sort of tune in a while, but when I get it back after the trip I want to lower the shift point in some hope of getting better mileage around town. 7 MPG just won't cut it. I would say as far as power goes, expect a 20-30HP gain. Its not a lot but it is noticeable.

cool thanks. I get around 10-11 in town and 13-15 highway. We never drive it so I don't really care. My route to truckhaven is all mountain 2 lane so the shift points would help just as much as the power I'm sure. Thats why I dread the truck haven drive.:D I should make it for a day trip with the kids, might ask you more about it if you don't mind.

cool thanks. I get around 10-11 in town and 13-15 highway. We never drive it so I don't really care. My route to truckhaven is all mountain 2 lane so the shift points would help just as much as the power I'm sure. Thats why I dread the truck haven drive.:D I should make it for a day trip with the kids, might ask you more about it if you don't mind.

Oh ok, you're lucky to get up to 10 in town. Theres no way I could get close to that. On the highway I'm hoping to average up to 13 with the trailer and my Exploreaneer in tow. And sure, no problem. Im looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes as well on a trip like this. I don't think ill have that many hills to go over coming from LA, but we shall see

Oh ok, you're lucky to get up to 10 in town. Theres no way I could get close to that. On the highway I'm hoping to average up to 13 with the trailer and my Exploreaneer in tow. And sure, no problem. Im looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes as well on a trip like this. I don't think ill have that many hills to go over coming from LA, but we shall see

If you come down the 10 you have whitewater grade going home and Yucaipa grade coming out.

Exploreaneer haha I have a Broncaneer

What is this thread about again?? Oh, Truckhaven Run. October 25-26

You don't know how many times I wanted to chime in about my v10. ..but not the thread for that:salute:

My bad...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are leaving tomorrow, no set time, decided to go straight to Truckhaven. Still plan to be there Thursday evening. 1,200+ miles, and gas prices have actually dropped. :D

Been looking forward to doing a Truckhaven run, going to be great to see EF'ers again and meet others for the first time. :chug:

Back