Truck is driving forward in all gears but park... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is driving forward in all gears but park...

DocAnkh

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4
My truck is going forward in all the gears and in park you can feel it try to jump forward.The code its showing me is P0761,"Shift Solenoid C CKT
Performance Or Stuck Off"I've Dropped the pan and theres 6 solenoids,4 on one side 2 on the other.Which ones C,or is it something else?96 Explorer auto 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glacier?

Sorry, I don't check this forum as often as I should. I am not at home, but once I get back on Tues I will post a pic showing you which solenoid is which (including which shift solenoid is A, B C etc) on the 5R55. Hope that's soon enough.

Thanks Glacier.I'm going to replace the tranny because I have a friend who has one $125 but I would really like to know which one it was and I'll pass it on to another guy who is probly going to end with the same problem,hes getting the same code I got (P0761)or if you want You can see what he wrote.title was P0761 I can't remember the guys name but, I just posted him another reply so it should be on the first page of Under the hood and driveline.Thanks again.....

DocAnkh said:
My truck is going forward in all the gears and in park you can feel it try to jump forward.The code its showing me is P0761,"Shift Solenoid C CKT
Performance Or Stuck Off"I've Dropped the pan and theres 6 solenoids,4 on one side 2 on the other.Which ones C,or is it something else?96 Explorer auto 4x4

I found the description of the code in my 97 Manual. I think that Shift Solenoid C is also known as SS3 (shift sol 3). I was trying to find you a good diagram showing the locations of all of the solenoids, but I haven't found it yet. Keep in mind that my manual is for the 5R55E but your 96 should be a 4R55E.

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 710

On the 2 solenoid side, the one farthest from the low reverse piston (that large round hole inthe separator plate) is the C solenoid. In this picture it is the one on the left
15286DSCN5963-med.jpg

Just remember the farthest from the Low reverse servo "hole".

Thanks again glacier also thanks dog.After I put the crankshaft (new) in my explorer I'm going to pull the tranny out of my wife's and break it down.Thankyou for all the info!

let me know when you do, I have the tools.

Will do thanks

Back