Truck stalled. Battery and Alternator check fine. help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck stalled. Battery and Alternator check fine. help!

dudmanhale

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
My truck stalled this morning when I placed it in park. It is cold out but I let the car warm up for about 15 minutes, drove approx. 6 miles (heater running whole time, its cold out), put it in park and the truck stalled. I checked the battery and alternator with voltmeter while truck off and running. Meter shows 12.7 volts with car off and 14.3 volts with car running. Any thoughts on what caused the car to stall?

Thanks
Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did it a time or two, b4 I replaced fuel pump. Knew mine was the pump, It did that a few times and would start right up. Then began, that i would have to rap the tank with a rubber mallet and then it would restart. The second time the wife had to use the mallet in the snow, well you know how that story will end. Mine had 122,000 miles on 11/20/06 when replaced

Just noticed, Welcome to the site. It's full of a lot of good people that are full of --------knowledge:biggthump

Did it start right back up after it stalled? I suggest putting some gas treatment in the tank and maybe cleaning the throttle body. You should further trouble shoot before considering replacing the fuel pump.

Did it start right back up after it stalled? I suggest putting some gas treatment in the tank and maybe cleaning the throttle body. You should further trouble shoot before considering replacing the fuel pump.
For what it's worth, I use Star Tron in the gas tank. I notice some better fuel mileage, and No stalling no matter the weather.

Mine did it a time or two, b4 I replaced fuel pump. Knew mine was the pump, It did that a few times and would start right up. Then began, that i would have to rap the tank with a rubber mallet and then it would restart. The second time the wife had to use the mallet in the snow, well you know how that story will end. Mine had 122,000 miles on 11/20/06 when replaced

Just noticed, Welcome to the site. It's full of a lot of good people that are full of --------knowledge:biggthump
I googled for images of where fuel pump is located but only saw one where it said it was under passenger seats. Got any websites that might show more accurately for a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS?

I googled for images of where fuel pump is located but only saw one where it said it was under passenger seats. Got any websites that might show more accurately for a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS?

Lots of threads on this site about replacing fuel pump in gas tank. Two basic methods - 1) drop fuel tank or 2) remove back seat, cut hole in floor above pump.

However, I agree with others that you are premature to consider fuel pump replacement. Fuel treatments, injector cleaners, IACV and throttle body cleaning, replace fuel filter, etc first.

Thanks bobflood. I'll try the fuel treatments and such first.

I had this issue with my first explorer. Turns out the PCM relay was bad and the only way we caught it was for the truck to stall as we had the scan tool hooked up. I replaced everything from crank trigger sensor to fuel pump. Man was I mad

Back