Truck still rolls and clicking coming from trans when in park, Help Please !!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck still rolls and clicking coming from trans when in park, Help Please !!!

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
For about a month now my trucks has decided it doesn't want to sit still after put into park. I'll shift it into park and if I'm on any type of incline it'll start to roll and click from the transmission like the parking sprague isn't engaged all the way.

At first I looked up things it could be and people have had problems with the thumbwheel (adjuster wheel for the shift indicator cable) breaking or the two screws coming loose that hold the shifter onto the column. These are all good.

There's an electric module box on the side of the trans that the shifter cable mounts to, How do I disconnect the cable? I'm trying to narrow down the culprit so I'm wanting to disconnect the cable and manually shift the trans through the gears so I can see if it's still lined up and the sprague is good or worn out.

Any help, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Todd, I'll try that tomorrow. It's only been getting worse since the last trip to Doe Valley. Hopefully I can get this fixed fast and easy, inspection is up in December.

Thanks Todd for the link and BillJ for doing the write-up. It took a couple times to adjust it but it's staying still now.

Back