DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Sparksaflyin' called to say he was stranded away from home. The truck is parked in a safe spot until we can get back to it.

Out of the blue he said power went away a bit. He immediately pulled off in a safe spot and the check oil light flickered.

Everything checks ok, coolant looks full and green, oil is low but normal looking, however it is all over the rear driver side of engine. The pcv valve is locked in place.

Seems like it blew the valve cover gasket. Is this possible? I have never seen one just let go like that-

Mark says the engine fires right up and seems to run normal. No overheat was indicated.
Since we need to try repairs on the spot--anything I am unaware of to look for?

92 4.0 explorer ( california emmisions)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The valve cover gaskets will leak pretty good with age, I'm not sure if they can let go that fast though. Seeing as how there is no apparent head or head gasket failure, I would put money on the valve cover gaskets or lower intake gaskets. My motor leaked a lot more oil before I replaced those on mine. However it was not that of profuse of a leak.

Edit: Might want to check the oil level sender and the oil pressure senders too.

...Have him check the tightness of the oil filter and possibly it's O ring...

...Just to rule it out...;)

...Have him check the tightness of the oil filter and possibly it's O ring...

...Just to rule it out...;)

Thought about that. oil is at upper rear driver side though.
Oil filter is under and behind the passenger exhaust manifold.

Call up SVO.. If he bought Froaders rig then its the engine he put in for him. So he may have some ideas.

Call up SVO.. If he bought Froaders rig then its the engine he put in for him. So he may have some ideas.

Well, I just threw one into mine--a couple of times remember? I have 2 extra engines in the garage and for the life of me I cannot explain this even from looking at bare heads. If a head had cracked, there would surely be coolant leaking. The intake valley and valve cover seem suspect. I wonder if maybe the pcv valve clogged up or froze up, and caused some excess pressure. hmmmm

I'm thinking valve cover too..

Well we be home. I'm thinking valve cover gasket myself ??? I'm just glad it's as cold as it is. Maybe we didn't hurt anything limpping it to the safe spot. Turn around Just soutn of Garrnet ks. Think we have a member there if ya see our truck driving around, WE AIN'T IN IT!!!

Lucky for me I have a CHEIF MEDIC If he don't change his number!

I have lost one car to the oil filter coming lose!! That will piss me off!

Will update asap!!

p.s. was looking for thread seen truck stranded oil leaks bad Frist thought ooooohhhhh no some other poor bastige having trouble. **** just me!!

Transmission modulator

I'm not familiar with the early Explorers but is it definitely engine oil and not transmission oil? If transmission oil, it could be a leaking transmission modulator with ATF getting sucked into the intake manifold.

I'm not familiar with the early Explorers but is it definitely engine oil and not transmission oil? If transmission oil, it could be a leaking transmission modulator with ATF getting sucked into the intake manifold.

Noop all oil My frist thinking was the trans was going out. But I soon ruled that out. Wasn't think oil leak either???

As cold as it got in the last few days, anything is possible. You guys took that rig from a posh desert climate to a frigid tundra wonderland!

Something would have had to break/crack for it to "All of a sudden" start dumping oil. I would not rule out the possibility of the leak on the other side of the engine either. Wind from HWY speeds could have been blowing oil to the drivers side.

I am leaning towards an oil pressure sending unit.

I'd guess the oil pressure sending unit too.
It's on the driver's side, they fail with old age, and can leak a massive
amount of oil when they fail. You can dump the entire contents of the
crankcase in less than 10 minutes.
Mine (on my '94) is mounted on a extended post on the left (driver's)
side of the engine. Looks like a big bolt with a hole drilled thru it and
a plastic sensor end piece with a single wire attached to it.

The auto parts places all seem to have them in stock.

I'll put the mobil back in it Colin.:thumbsup: It's all good we will get it fixed one way or the other. Had I not had the dog & boy & another friend I would have looked at it more.

Can't get to my tools, the shed in frozen and we can get it open. I have been tring to get tools just for the truck. Will make sure I have some sockets ASAP!!

I'm not worried,but at the same time I'm pretty worried!! If you know what I mean???

Back to bed :D !!!!!

Well, we got to the truck armed with all kinds of gaskets and even newly powdercoated valve covers and upper intake.

Oil is not leaking, rather it is puking from the dip stick tube under engine load only--
We tried to get it up and over the first hill, only to see oil coming out again.

this is bad mmkay
Sounds like a dead cylinder to me also. I am afraid this one is kaplooey. The only reason for positive oil pressure in the crank case is severe blow by--broken ring or a hole in a piston is what I think. Compression check tomorrow to verify-

The worst part is we used a Chevy truck to tow it home.

It is here at my house now.

Moving this from 911 into the stock 1st gen forum

i would check the pcv too, it could be frozen .
mine did that a few years ago, i changed it , and the problem went away,

Another wrench party at the Turdle farm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't that thing under warranty in Texas:p:

Back