Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad

So, what would you assume if you saw this and 0 compression on #1?

1-12-2010001.jpg

Time for an engine

OK, question. Will a 96 long block bolt up and work with 93 non egr intake , exhaust manifold and, A4LD transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks...you know it would have lasted years for Colin, because it would have taken so long to put a few 1000 miles on it.

Holy shiat!! I am truly sorry so see this. I put less than 2k miles on those plugs. You guys put more miles on the drive home than I did from August of 2006. I can't believe how bad that is.

Do what I did and tow it to TX. It's a great 5 days of mischief.

I'm pretty sure Jamie told me that a 96 block would work fine with the 91-94 uppers. Just can't remember about the flex plate bolts. I'll search around for some answers.

Holy shiat!! I am truly sorry so see this. I put less than 2k miles on those plugs. You guys put more miles on the drive home than I did from August of 2006. I can't believe how bad that is.

Do what I did and tow it to TX. It's a great 5 days of mischief.

I'm pretty sure Jamie told me that a 96 block would work fine with the 91-94 uppers. I'll search around for some answers.

Thanks for the help.

The engine I got from a local guy for my 93 runs smooth, and he happens to have a better 96 engine for 125 bux I think

And I would love to go to SVO's house instead, however he is on his 3rd plate I believe. He already needs a doggie bag.

Colin you don't need to feel bad at all!! You didn't do a thing wrong or mislead or etc. It's all good!!

Now I must take Joshua to get a hair cut!!;)

It's just a motor!!:rolleyes::D

Well at least it waited to get to its new home to do this. It could have happened who knows where in between. :)

So, what would you assume if you saw this and 0 compression on #1?

1-12-2010001.jpg

Time for an engine

OK, question. Will a 96 long block bolt up and work with 93 non egr intake , exhaust manifold and, A4LD transmission?

What brand of plugs were they??? (so I know to stay clear). In today's litigious society, wouldn't the plug manufacturer have some liability? I mean, what if that plug was in a brand new vehicle and lunched an emgine with only a few thousand miles????

What brand of plugs were they??? (so I know to stay clear). In today's litigious society, wouldn't the plug manufacturer have some liability? I mean, what if that plug was in a brand new vehicle and lunched an emgine with only a few thousand miles????

To be honest I think there was an ongoing issue in that cylinder. When we got back to Kansas we discovered cracked ceramic-and it had developed a 2200 rpm miss at load, which grew worse as we neared home. Mark saved the bad plugs after changing them.

These plugs were new. So, since there was no coolant loss evident I am assuming a bad fuel injector caused this cylinder to burn lean, which in turn burned the plug and piston. If it was valve damage there would not be such a blow by issue. So, without a teardown to confirm I will assume the spark plug is a symptom, not a cause.

Yeah we drove,what 15 hundred miles on 5 clylenders. I should have replaced plugs etc tune up before we left. So it is my fault! Not a part or anything!!

Now will my brackets for alt. and a/c work with a 96 block???

What gets me is how well it was running. I mean it was Great! very snappie I never once missed my v8 chevy truck. which I'm glad I still have it!!

The worst part is we used a Chevy truck to tow it home.

At least it was my chevy truck!!! :D:p: HAHA!

Geez mark that sucks man =[ Sorry to hear.. I've had similar luck with Hondas going from CA to KS. Threw a rod in amarillo the last time..

Best of luck gettin it back on the road my friend!

Thought I would post up this tidbit

Sparksaflyin scored a 96 ohv with 170-175 psi compression today.

It is in my garage. We'll get the old motor out.

The plan is to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, and, use a 93 intake and exhaust manifolds. The crank ( flywheel) has the same 6 bolt pattern so we are set.

Now to see it the 93 upper plennum can be used with the 96 lower plennum without removing the injectors.

96 plenum is plastic, 93 is metal..

Also, I "believe" the 96 has the FPR in the tank so you would need to swap the fuel rail. .

Might as well just swap the lower intake with the fuel rail still attached. Also use the 93 upper intake etc...

You can actually leave the fuel rail connected to the lower intake.. That means you don't have to mess with the injectors...

edit: btw.. people put the 95tm heads on 91-94's to get higher compression. which means they are mixing heads and lower intake years. Your doing the same thing, just the opposite way..
~Mark

You can actually leave the fuel rail connected to the lower intake.. That means you don't have to mess with the injectors...

But if a bad injector caused the problem in the first place...:nono:

I think we have some extra injectors to choose from?? With a little luck, we might have this running this weekend. It looks like the weather is going to be on our side.

Well need to get going have to stop at body shop,see if they need anyting. Parts store to pick up last minute Items. Then to Jon's. look out sheri here we come!!!! ;)

And pic's to follow. HAHA and I was wandering what I could do to make this truck mine. I think this is it! :mad:

okay I am wearing all black today and driving with my headlights on

that was my old engine, before I did the 5.0L swap. I put ALOT of miles on that engine, I never had a #1 cyl problem that I was aware of, dang
I had to use that engine in my BII because I cracked my original 93 OHV block (that I used for the 2.9L to 4.0L conversion), i cracked it by overtightening the oil pressure sender mount, which is tappered. JB weld held that together for about 4 years, but when I attempted to repair again, I broke it. I bought this 94 engine froma junk yard, it had 63K miles on it when I got it... always used full synthetic in it and it never saw over 215 degrees.
that block was in at least 4 trucks that I know of, now that is how we do it here on EF!!!

Okay Jon, YES you can use any OHV block, from 91-2001, obviously after 95 is the best bet, stronger heads

In 96-97 they went to an 8 bolt crank, to match the SOHC (thank god they didnt use a 6 bolt flywheel anymore with the SOHC< we had enough flywheel problems)

Havent you seen my threads? I have put 96 engine into a 93, a 98 engine into a 96, etc etc muahahahaha whatever you do dont use the same fuel rail and injectors! also check the wiring to the injectors, maybe a spray test?? so you dont burn up another engine...

96 block will work perfect, just strip it down to the valve covers......use your intakes, wiring, and accessories, sensors.....dont forget to swap out the sensors!! especially the CAM sensor...wait that 93 block did not have a cam sensor, if the 96 block has one LEAVE IT IN THERE, just dont hook it up, it drives the oil pump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, but I had no idea that the current thinking is that the injector took out the cylinder...

~Mark

Back