Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad

93 plenum should fit the 96 lower yes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,
96 has no low oil level sensor, so, we must bypass this

Also, and this makes sense, the motor mount plates are different.

The 96 has a fuel pressure regulator, and all injectors read 15.3 ohms, just like the 93 injectors. They plug in just fine, and the only difference I can see is they are red. Looks like the 93 upper will bolt right on. :thumbsup:

We have all the harnesses disconnected. all trans bolts are out. I have some good pics of Gmanpaint getting the top ones-

Just need to disconnect the fuel lines and this motor is ready to pull.

Here are some pictures of the air intake sytem when we tore it off

Sparksaflyinsswap001.jpg

Sparksaflyinsswap002.jpg

Almost all of the spark plugs were burned-now why would that happen? They were new. The "old" set lasted all the way from California. Now I suspect some internal swappage of parts---thru the intake-

Anyway-lets dwell on the new for now

In this photo you can see the 96 engine-at least this one, has a fuwel pressure regulator.

Sparksaflyinsswap010.jpg

Here is the return line

Sparksaflyinsswap011.jpg

Here is the stuff we removed for the 96 to 92 conversion

Sparksaflyinsswap009.jpg

ooops, intake is around somewhere--it is a black plastic unit

Here is the "prepped engine. I am amazed how clean it is.

Sparksaflyinsswap007.jpg

Sparksaflyinsswap006.jpg

We're going to use this upper though

Sparksaflyinsswap008.jpg

This picture shows Gmanpaint's butt.

Sparksaflyinsswap004.jpg

Here he is getting those lousy top trans bolts. Now that was easy, for me at least.

Sparksaflyinsswap005.jpg

Thats a nice look for you Greg, haha. Seriously though, I can come down there tomorrow, Saturday, if you want some relatively unskilled help and the girlfriend.

Thats a nice look for you Greg, haha. Seriously though, I can come down there tomorrow, Saturday, if you want some relatively unskilled help and the girlfriend.

Are you driving yet? :D

Come on down. It would be great to see ya-:thumbsup:

returnless fuel rail wasnt until 98 I believe

the 96 has a cam sensor and the 93 does not correct?

returnless fuel rail wasnt until 98 I believe

The 96 does have an " electrical" type sensor. I haven't looked at the 93 block yet.

We'll just leave it unplugged ;)

Jamie why don't you run over here right quick and I'll hand you wrenches.

:D

I am turning wrenches over here!! I know I know its amazing... my back is sore, my wrists hurt, my hands are cut and bruised! I am BACK!!

Spent 3 days installing Bilstein 5100's on the front of the FJ... they are adjustable and I am using position 1.75" lift.... compressing those springs was a *****!!! of course I had to do the drivers side twice.... I jacked it up the first time and I had to cut a bolt in 3 spots because the wife bent the living crap out of her lower shock mount on a 2' boulder :)

I would gladly do a 4.0L swap over this risking my life with harbor freight spring compressor crap LOL

Believe the Cam sensors started in '93. At least i know that the '93 Ranger motor I installed in my '91 had the cam sensor in it, actually still there Keeping the oil pump happy these days :D

Geez, there's never a dull moment at the Turdle residence, is there?!

Turdle farm was shut down a little early today. Darkness fell upon us before we could finish.
Back at it in the morning. So far so good with the swap. Just a small snafu with a bad trans mount. Hopefully we can find one on a Sunday.

trans mount $18 at Napa

trans mount $18 at Napa

Not on Sunday---grrrrr

This one is holding the trans clocked about 20 degrees to the left

:hammer::hammer::hammer:-it is impossible to angle the engine to match it so we are going to strap the trans for now. I already broke a 5" c clamp trying to pull the mount down on driver side

Thanks for the suggestion IZ

.. going to strap the trans for now... Thanks for the suggestion IZ
Hehe, some one (GMan) opened their big mouth huh?

Well
Engine is in and running. it has a miss, but that may be a fouled plug.

DKChrist came yesterday to help, spent the night and stuck it out.He just now took off.

Gmanpaint cooked us all pancakes this AM. They were mmmmy
He had to head home earlier. Thanks so much for your help guys!!

Pictures coming

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back