Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Stranded--oil leaks bad

a miss? oh man
It better clear up quick!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well heck, I missed the starting of the engine by a couple hours. :( It was almost finished when my time came to head home.

Sure glad to hear she is up & running Mark. A little fine tuning, and all will be right with the universe again! Woot!

smilie_earlybronco01%5B1%5D.gif

I can't thank you all enough for the help you gave Jon guys!!! It was great to see you two again,lets just hope it's wheel' next time! :thumbsup:

It's running!! Tomorrow is another day. :( ;)

Well, this one is weird, but I think we found the problem which killed the first engine.

first we pulled the plugs and checked compression. There is good compression,>160 psi at all cylinders. I didn't check for actual numbers, once I saw it bump over 160 I moved to the next cylinder

Looking at the plugs-in order
#1 looked clean and pristine-pure white ceramic
#2 had a slight tan discoloration
#3 was pure white
#4 was pure white
#5 slightly tan
#6 slightly tan

( I may have these a bit mixed up)

These were brand new plugs, yet we changed them anyway today. we also changed wires and the coil pack. We have good spark at all cylinders, yet the engine still has a dead miss. it's only hitting on 3.

OK, when I remove #1 wire at the coil the engine does not stumble any more than it was. I removed other spark wires one by one, and the " no stumble" followed the white plugs pattern

It would seem that half the injectors are not firing.

Now, remember-we changed FPR, fuel rail and injectors. Using logic the only thing I can come up with is either the harness or ECM has an issue, as those are the only things we carried over from the "old" engine.

The "clean white" plug pattern also follows the pattern of the burned plugs from the old engine.

Looking at the harness I see no damage.

What is my next troubleshooting step please? how do I go about verifying the injectors are firing?

It definitely has a pattern to it, however it isn't a bank 1 bank 2 problem from what I see now.
Does the ignition control module have anything to do with injector firing?

PS
this is a "batch fire" injection system.

check for 12V+ with the key on at the resd wire at eaach injector

next would be to check for a - pulse on the second wire at each injector, while running

After going hmmm on the phone with SVO
we decided another ecm was a good thing to try.

So, after about 4 hours in the pick and pull we scored 2 ecm's, 3 dis6 ignition controllers, an injector wire harness, 3 white doors, 1 green door, door reflectors, a e1354 transfer case, and, a grey rear hatch trim panel for 180.00

Not a bad day.

We haven't gave up yet!!:p: It's just raining and our shop has a water leak right over the engine compartment.:D work to resume asap!!

Good Luck Guys I may pass by on my way back from truck shopping this weekend and see if you guys are wrenching. You will be able to meet the significant other this time. Her name is Alex ;).

Good Luck Guys I may pass by on my way back from truck shopping this weekend and see if you guys are wrenching. You will be able to meet the significant other this time. Her name is Alex ;).

Ok, I will try to behave.

:D

Edit, whoa what truck shopping huh?

Well, no joy.
We installed another ecm, and ignition module to get the same syptoms

no fuel to
1, 4 and 5
Using a noid tester all injector plugs flashed.

I can see nothing in common between these cylinders electrically.

Now we are pulling the injectors for a look see. The upper is back off--

One thing went past me in this swap.
The engine sat for quite a while. I just connected the fuel lines and went with it. If something got into the fuel lines we may just have a few clogged injectors. In my imagination I am seeing a spider web in there-

I should have flushed fuel thru the rail before connecting the return line. boo I failed.

If the injectors are in fact clogged you may consider getting them cleaned instead of replacing them.

I used these guys when I had injectors cleaned: http://www.witchhunter.com/

They were fairly quick, and most importantly the injectors were clean and serviced and worked perfectly afterwords. For the price I would consider it, it is much cheaper than new injectors.

Thanks for the tip. $20 bucks a pop not bad??

If the injectors are in fact clogged you may consider getting them cleaned instead of replacing them.

I used these guys when I had injectors cleaned: http://www.witchhunter.com/

They were fairly quick, and most importantly the injectors were clean and serviced and worked perfectly afterwords. For the price I would consider it, it is much cheaper than new injectors.

Sorry to hear of the problems. Can you swap those three injectors with the three "good" ones from the old engine? The red color means nothing, they should flow the same.

Also do you have enough wire and the injector harnesses that you can connect the injectors together as a test? It would be good to know if the issue is wiring, or the injectors. If it ran and the plugs weren't dry white any longer, then you'd know the injectors are okay.

Don while you typed we wrenched!
I cleared my head of anything"coincidental" and went at this as a brand new issue. Forgetting all that was swapped here and there.

We tested the harness and it checked fine. So, using a battery charger for 12v power, we applied power to each injector.

Would you believe no clicky on 1, 4 and 5? Wow, how much of a coincidence is that.??? 3 dead injectors on the "new" motor. And they matched the pattern of burned cylinders on the old motor. Yes, coincidences can happen--

So, digging thru our lil pile of junk we found 6 live injectors. We swapped out the fuel rail being careful to use the thicker 96 lower intake spacer sprayed with a little ultra copper spray gasket sealer.

Got it all back together and it purrs like a panther. It holds a steady 20" vacuum at idle and revs like crazy.

So we drained out the clean out oil with trans fluid and seafoam, filled her with mobile 1, put on a new filter and are drinking celebratory shots now. Soon we will put on the hood and go race. I think I can take him

:D:D:D

Test drive and no shift. So, we pulled back into the driveway so I could burn my arm on the catalytic converter whilst attaching the knocked off vacuum modulator valve hose.
It is idling a bit high, like 1200 rpms.
Mark left his truck here yet another night so we can get the idle situated.
We still have a 91 test ecm in place, so I think the 92 ecm will go back in hoping it will talk to it's IAC valve better. I don't think we have any vacuum leaks but we will check that to be sure. I tapped the valve and the idle came down a bit afterward, but it stumbled no further when disconnected. It looks like the idle set screw has been turned in a bit so we may back it out if all else checks ok. I haven't checked the TPS voltage yet.

Excellent, the battery charger is even more useful. :salute:

EXCELLENT!!

what would kill 3 injectors on one side???? all at once? coincidence or did something kill them?????

That idle may come down after a few drive cycles, but 1200 does seem high
any CEL?

glad this didnt happen to me when I had that engine! LOL..... just what I would have needed, another OHV before the v8 conversion//? Colin broke it! not me

Jamie, they were not all on the sane side, that is what threw me.

1 ,4 and 5 were dead. Now, I may heave the dead cylinders of the "old" engine a but mixed up, but #1 definiteley had a burned up plug and 0 compression.

today is 30 derees with about a gagillion mile per hour winds. My bones need to stay warm for a day so I am doing house work and paying bills.

bah
laundry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooooh laundry! LOL we got Samsung new washer and dryer for X mas for ourselves... so laundry is fun again!!

the wind was here yesterday... I left our blinds down outside... its been so nice lately and we have been using thehot tub, so I left our privacy blinds down for like a week...well after the wind yesterday.. I had to go out there with a knife and cut all 3 of them down.... they were tangled and shredded attempting to take their support structure with them... I built the whole thing last year so it was sad to cut them down... now we need to spend some more $$$ to replace them.....I wont be leaving them down again!!!!!!! that wind SUCKS makes it impossible to do work outside

DSCF2114.jpg

when the blinds were new, now they are MIA and scattered all over the yard!

I am just glad you got the fuel issue figured... geesh

Back