OffTrac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Another member of another forum posted this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=988456&ecid=f225t&em_id=prpearce@sbcglobal.net&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email-flash&utm_campaign=f225t

The compact truck size says "Fits most beds 72-74". Approx. 6' wide. 10 lbs."

Well, the Sport Trac's bed is 74.5" in length with the tailgate down and 54" inside to inside. It may require a little bunching on the sides but that'd be alright.

I need to buy a tent before Gulches in August anyway (gave my last one to my dad when I moved out). I'll also need one for the upcoming hunting season. I think I'm going to buy this, test fit and if it doesn't, I'll return it for a ground tent.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and it's only $8 more on Amazon, which is where I'd probably order it anyway since I have used them a lot and have free shipping.

I like them, but they definitely aren't as easy to setup as a ground tent.

Just be sure to set it up before you get drunk. I'm looking for the picture, but you can ask 90ranajo why. :)

I wish I could've found a truck tent that would fit the sport trac. But I do a lot of backpacking as well so I went with a ground tent instead. I really like the idea of having the tent in the bed though and it would be dryer than if it was on the ground.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this on Friday after I make sure July's bills are paid and find out how much our vet bill is going to be (they haven't been since November :eek:, but had enough meds). I figure that gives me time to return it if it doesn't fit and exchange it for a ground tent which I also need anyway.

Vet bills... Not fun

Hope you can show it off at gulches :thumbsup:

Did you buy it and any pics I am wanting one.

Dang was actually wondering which one would fit the ST.

Wish I could say for sure. I still have it on my wish list and may get one another time but the ground tent just made more sense at the time.

That's pretty cool. Not to mention being able to move camp site without having to take everything down!

I really like the idea. The only snag I have is what if it randomly starts raining like it did when we were at gulches. Plus you have to clear out the bed and take down the tent when you wheel. I always wanted a truck tent but I didnt think of that until that trip. But it would hands down beat any tent on regular camping or hunting trips.

Plus you have to clear out the bed and take down the tent when you wheel.

That's my main concern. I can only see it being useful on hunting or camping trips in which I know the truck will be stationary for a while. For wheeling trips, not as much fun to put up/tear down each night/day. Most of my camping trips does see the vehicle stationary for days at a time as we typically hike in one direction one day, return to the camp, hike another the next day, rinse and repeat. It would be nice for trips like that.

But the more I think about it, a ground tent serves the same purpose and allows you to get the truck going quickly if necessary. I may still get it as a novelty item to try a couple times but I don't think it could ever replace a ground tent for most uses.

If you have a soft tonnue cover then just lower the tent below the rails and put cover on all too easy.

True. Except my bed houses my 35" spare and tools of all kinds :D

This was one of my reasons for building my Ranger bed trailer. I could drop the trailer, set up the tent in the "bed", and still have my truck free to go.

Hmm that would work well because it could handle mild offroad trails to sites...

Back