truck trend,,, showing the new explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

truck trend,,, showing the new explorer

dtl 2k2 sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
stafford Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SPORT
JUST an FYI, i grabbed the newest edition of truck trend. And low and behold it showed the new explorer wrapped up. 2011 Is the alleged release time and this is on page 10 if anyone has the latest copy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sigh... guess I won't be able to run across a pot hole ridden dirt field at 25-30mph like i can in my stout body on frame 3gen explorer...

sigh... guess I won't be able to run across a pot hole ridden dirt field at 25-30mph like i can in my stout body on frame 3gen explorer...
It'll be fine, the Jeep XJ has a unibody and it works just fine for mild trails.

That is the saddest thing ive ever seen..

Anyone want one early, just go buy a damn Taurus X

:'(

explorer_web01_issue_122_Original.jpg

explorer_web02_issue_122_Original.jpg

This is sadddd. Idk about you guys but I think that thing looks pitiful.

This is sadddd. Idk about you guys but I think that thing looks pitiful.
Why so? As the article says, most of what you're looking at is the Taurus X

a 2011 Explorer production front end grafted on to a Taurus X body.

And most of the "front end" is covered up - so we cant really say much about how the Explorer will look since most of what we see in the pictures is the Taurus X. Compare the lines and curves with this image:

first-look-2008-ford-taurus-x-3.jpg

Idk, im just looking in perspective compared to the current explorers, along with all the other gens, they went from the new ones that look sharp as hell, to that? Lets hope theyre just testing out the chassis and whatnot that thats actually not the body lol

Another pic:
2011-Ford-Explorer_01.jpg

Haha, IZ I just showed my gf a pic of that new explorer, and then the pic comparing it to the taurus x, on google and had that same pic.

Guys, they're not going to look like that. They're mules- and badly covered ones. Sheesh! Give them the benefit of the doubt...

Ah thank god...so basically what I said, theyre just testing the engine and chassis and whatnot? Thats not the actual body or anything....

Exactly. The mules run around with other sheet metal on them or crafted canvas. About 6 months before release, you might see something close. Trust me- the drawings look pretty good. ;)

Ahhh
Okay, have you seen the drawings? Im kinda excited now hahaha

(Not to change topic Joe, you have the SHO right? Well have you ever done any trans work on any of them? My gf's parents 97 (not sho) it wont go into the last gear, so like at 45, its revving around 23-2400 and I shifted it into D, (od off I think?) so im thinking the OD doesnt work...cus when I shifted from OD to D the rpms didnt change or anything...) pm me the answer if you want...

I've given them the benefit of the doubt, and you know that they are gonig to screw it up big time. Look at all the spy photos, they wont go far to differentiate (sp) the proto vs the street sales model. Lets hope they will make a better looking explorer, but boys looks like this is what next years xplorer will look like. Hey and about that rough and ready 4 cyl engine,, huh,,
Uhm no thanks, i'll stick w/ the chevy 08 silverado in my drive way. I bet that ford will try to make it a lil more rounded style to compete w/ the chevy traverse. I loved the x's and probably always will for the older styles. But when it comes to the future design,, i'm jumping off that wagon. How many of you will look at all the other Suv's OR cross overs and say,, " Hey i gotta have another 2011 EXPLORER.? I bet only a very small portion on this forum would consider it. Has there been a poll taken? And anymore pics of the future design??

Well dtl, not sure where you get your info from, but I can tell you with family-in-ford-design-certainty that the new Explorer doesn't look exactly like a Taurus X body and a Flex body fitted to a test mule unibody frame.

<edited out personal thoughts cause you can't make some people not hate Ford>

And Brian- yep- OD is out, or the sensor that triggers it...

Hmm...is it something like "take the whole tranny out and work on it" ordeal, or is it something like unplug the sensor and swap it lol

I saw these pics months ago lol. Anyone have pics of the sketches of the ACTUAL 2011 explorer?

I am going to assume the mountaineer is getting the axe for 2011 too right?

This isnt about Explorers but here's what I'd LOVE to see from Ford, and this is just my personal taste so it probably wont jive with everyone on the forum.

What they need to do is take the Suzuki Samurai approach - very utilitarian. Build it small, but capable. No I dont need a 4.0L v6 and no I dont need a tailgate that automatically closes/opens with a push of a button. I'll be happy with 1.5L to 2.0L naturally aspirated (a diesel would be even better) and the entire drivetrain manually controlled. Make it look simple, stick with a specific look and retain that through every revision of the vehicle. Dont try to make it look tough because A) only newbs look for that kind of stuff and chances are, the same newbs will be trading it in for another vehicle two years later when something else tickles their fancy, B) reduces design time and makes stamping the steel panels much more simple.

On a trip to Tokyo a few years ago, I ran into this beauty - the modern Suzuki Jimny (the name of the "Samurai" overseas). Needless to say, I fell to my knees and was rolling all over the pavement inspecting the underside of the vehicle (only to realize a few minutes later that there was a person inside the vehicle - DoH!). But check out the suspension, coils with arms that are very suitable in length (unlike the Jeeps) - a deviation from the leaves which we were familiar with in the USA Samurai.

Copy_of_DSCN0096.jpg

Copy_of_DSCN0098.jpg

Copy_of_DSCN0097.jpg

I would love to DD one of these, take it to a moderate trail and then drive it back home.

It'll be fine, the Jeep XJ has a unibody and it works just fine for mild trails.

yeah.... its just fine. My parents have a '95 Grand Cherokee.

Although its very capable in stock form, its still not built on a "truck tough" platform like the explorers. They all came with weak axles to (i think) match the frame of the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Mr Dirt, thanks for the reply, and no i dont have family in FMC. And obviously they are going to make this close to what we are all seeing in the magazines. And not sure if the hating ford comment was twoards me, or the other memebers who have said a few things on here. I've had fords for every vehicle except for the past 2 trucks. Which were the 07 Chevy colorado,, decent but felt cheap, and a new 08 silverado. But for the blue oval squad, i've had 6 rangers sense 98, and one explorer sport 2002. I've considered buying a new Eddie Bauer explorer, but just looked else where for what i liked more. So thanks for the info on the wolf in sheeps cloathing, but we all are expecting to see a higher station wagon w/ explorer labels.

Back