Truck wont start after washing wheel wells. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck wont start after washing wheel wells.

GOVOLS

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 191,000 miles on it which I purchased less then 1 month ago. I have had no problems with the starter until today when I washed it and sprayed up in to the wheel wells to get out any salt from the highway department. After washing when I attempted to start it the key rotates freely in the switch from the accessory position all the way up to the starting position but the starter does not engage. The doors lock as if the engine had started but the engine does not crank nor can i hear the solenoids from the starter engaging (no clicking sounds). When I remove the keys from the ignition the switch does not rotate, but the power windows will operate and i can turn the headlights on and off, as if the key were in the switch, in the accessory position. The check engine light and the battery light are on even after I remove the key from the ignition. I am going back tomorrow in hopes that its just some water in the ignition system and it will dry out and start. That failing what should I check next?

If the situation still exists,attach a remote starter switch directly to the starter solenoid and see if the starter motor will crank the engine over.If it does the starter is OK,your problem most likely is in the key switch itself,either the mechanical end or the switch itself.Good luck!

Back