• Register Today It's free!

Truck Wont Start

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
Hey everyone, I went out to start my truck tonight and when I turn the key, it just "clicks" once. I cleaned and replaced the battery terminals, all the wires from the battery and starter and alternator I replaced about 3 months ago, battery is about a week old, the starter is 5 months old, and the alternator is 4 months old. I took the starter off and switched it with the one from my parts truck and it still doesnt work. I tried bypassing the starter solenoid and that didn't work either. I also checked all the fuses. Could this just be a bad battery? Please help, I dont have another working vehicle to drive.

Thanks,
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take battery and get it tested/Replaced.That the most likely problem.

if it clicks its battery related... not enough juice... if the battery is new, i would look into the charging system not being able to maintain the battery

if its not the starter could be the motor locked up try and turn the motor with a wrench on the crank shaft pulley if it is locked up you won't be able to move the motor at all if you can move the motor then i would look for a bad ground you have to look at a motor this way its sitting on rubber mounts how is it going to ground? there is a ground cable going to the engine somewhere what could be hapening is that you engine is looking for a ground and the only ground it might find is through the drive shaft

If the battery is good and the 12v fender relay is good (or jumped) and you put in a known working starter the wires (Battery & ground) must be suspect.

Are the battery wires new or just cleaned? When I picked up my New starter it contained an Insert indicating a known wiring problem whereby the Starter cable and/or signal wire could corrode (internally) do to inadequate protection from the elements. This corrosion could show 12v+ at the starter, but would Not allow enough power (amps) to reach the starter. I would clean all engine grounding straps to ensure a good contact is being made.

I just got the battery tested and it tested good. I did however find what I think is the problem. I remember a while back when It was doing the same thing, the end of the positive battery cable was corroded. I checked the negative cable, and cut off about 4" of the wire covering, and the wires were just green and corroded. I will pick some new wire up after work tonight or tommorow.

I replaced the stupid negative battery cable that I thought was the problem, and it still dont freakin work..AHHHHHHH. I also tried bypassing the solenoid on the fender and that didnt work either. How is the starter grounded? I dont see a ground wire on it, and was just wondering. There are 2 wires that go to the starter. The big wire goes to the positive battery terminal, and the smaller wire goes to the solenoid. Shouldn't it have a ground wire? Or does the starter ground itself to the block? Anyone have any ideas. I need this piece of crap to work. Im soo sick of this truck not working.

the starter grounds through the case.look for any loose or missing body to engine grounds.tap the side of the starter with a friend cranking it.use a dvom and check voltage getting to the starter should be at least 12.5if your unsure about your starter being grounded run at least a length of 10 guage wire to the frame froth starter mounting bolt.hope some of this helps. :confused:

if it clicks than the solinoid is working it is something from that to the starter try jumping it the battery may still be bad if that does not work than hook up a jumper cable to the positive cable on the starter if nothing tham the starter may be bad

but I swapped the starter out with the one from my parts truck which worked when i took it off 1.5 months ago

The starter has 3 terminals. The upper large one is + positive, The lower large post is negative and has a braided wire attached to the case. No external Neg wire is connected to this post since the entire metal shell of the starter is grounded by its attachment/contacted with the engine (which has a ground strap back to the chassis). The other 10 gauge signal wire maybe a push on connector. If this connector wire is a push on connector and not a post then it maybe bad.

For testing purposes I would first run a new 10 gauge signal wire from the starter solinoid signal wire back to the 12v fender relay (12v when key turned to start only). If this doesn't work then I would ground the starter by running a heavy wire from the starters ground post (the one with the braided wire) to the chassis or neg battery post.

Thanks, I will try that tommorow night. Also, I do not have the push on connector, my old starter had it, but the new one didnt have the hookup so I just chopped it off and put a ring terminal on it.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi--I had the identical problem. It turned out to be corrosion on two little block thingies attached to the firewall directly over the heater fan. If you have air--they are right over the round fan covered in silver insulation. There is a wire coming off each side of this block. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and new wire terminals. The truck rolls over much faster now. I don't know what they are called--but think they are fusible links. takes a half hour or so to remove them and clean them up.

Fixed it. It ended up being the wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter. Thanks everyone.

-Andy

:thumbsup: I bet you feel better now... Electrical problems can be a big PITA because the problem often cannot be seen (as in your case). I would use some heat shrink tube on the wires to protect them from the elements.

I am having the same problem, only a slight differance. About 2 weeks ago i started to have trouble starting my truck. At one point the battery went dead and after that evertime i would go to start my truck it woudl sound weak. Last wednesdayi had my truck transported from seattle washington to fortworth texas where i now am living. I got the truck this morning. It started up when the dude was takeing it off the trailer, again it sounded week. Well i was outta gas so i started her up again, and drove it to the gas station to put gas it in, and then i was going to drive around and let the battery charge as well as learn some of the surrounding area. Well, The gas station was as far as i got because it would start after that. I even tried to get it jumped and that didnt help at all. Some of the things to take into thought is i have one battery and a very large stereo system, pully around 2600 watts RMS. The battery is about a little over a year old, the alternator and starter are both around a year and a half. The Alt is 160amps. Right now my truck is at the gas station, im waiting for my friend to get home to help me maybe tow it back to my house , about 2 blocks, so that i can work on it. Any suggestions. First thing im going to check is all the connections are not corroded and then tomorrow ill have the batter tested and even replaced if needed. Thanks for any help.

When trying to re-charge your battery are you driving around with your stereo ON? If so shut it off because if your stereo is indeed using 2600 watts it maybe too much for your alternator. 160amp Alternator is only able to supply about 2320watts. The formula is amps x volts = watts. I am assuming your alt is putting out around 14.5v So 160amps x 14.5v = 2320watts.

Is your starter making any noise at all or just nothing? The corrosion problem on the starter wires is internal and cannout be seen without stripping the wire insulation off.

Back