Truckhaven 2002 Discussion | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truckhaven 2002 Discussion

Originally posted by Rick
Ok, take I-10 to 111 Which is in Indio.

There is a new freeway that will take you all the way from Indio right up to N. Marina Dr. It's 86s, but I'm not sure exactly how to pick it up from Indio. I suggest asking at the gas station or maybe someone here can clarify.

CA86S - Just keep driving on I-10. It will split into two, you just keep to the right, and you'll find yourself on 86S.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jim, look for the sign that say's 86S Expressway off of the Interstate 10. Like Rick said, once your on this freeway (86S) it will take you all the way to N. Marina Dr.
It's a lot easier now then before with the new highway.

Does anybody ever bring their kids along to this event? Is it acceptable to bring them? Our kids are 13 and 10 years old.

Yes there will be kids there. Diff Whack Daddy will have his kids (about the same age as yours from what I remember) and I'm sure there will be others.

Just a word of caution for everyone with kids or not. Be sure to tell all passengers to keep their hands and heads IN the vehicle while on the trail. We get real close to the canyon walls and we don't want anyone to get hurt.

Well the golf cart and everything is loaded and ready to go. Too bad I have to work tomorrow. Anyways, I just gotta pick up a friend, hit the store, gas up and I'm outta town. Luckily it's only about 1:30 for me!!! See you all this weekend and to the early arrivers, see you tomorrow night!!
Khris

That's fine, I just don't want to scratch my 11 month old paint job!

See you tomorrow Rick, around 2:30 PM (Thrusday)

Ron

Well guy's I'll be leaving in the morning. I should be there between 1:30-2:30 P.M.:bounce: I'll be on channel 1 and checking the camping site. That is if I don't get lost and have to yell out the tribal name. :D

i am heading out in an hour or so....got about 10 steaks and 3 flavors of bbq suace...some chips...and (6) 3 hour fire logs...... if i get there first look for me... i look like this: (also, i have an amber front turn & a clear, no bumper billit grill and a www.explorer4x4.com sticker in between my rear window hinges, a www.explorer4x4.com licence plate holder and my license plate # CA:3KNR498, and my hood and left fender are flat black and the rest is glossy navy....)

Attachments

• svra2.jpg
    svra2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 233

When coming from Phoenix, should I go all the way to Indio and drop down on 86s or should I exit I-10 at Cottonwood Spring Rd. and take Box Canyon Rd into Mecca? I'll be leavin from Phoenix on Friday afternoon.

Thanks,
John :confused:

Originally posted by Aquaman
When coming from Phoenix, should I go all the way to Indio and drop down on 86s or should I exit I-10 at Cottonwood Spring Rd. and take Box Canyon Rd into Mecca? I'll be leavin from Phoenix on Friday afternoon.

Thanks,
Rick takes box canyon. I'm not sure how much shorter it actually is though.

WHOOHOO!!! It looks like I'm gonna make it! I got everything staightened out so I (we) can go. See you Saturday morning.
P.S. Where on this site is the list put together of important gear to bring whenever wheelin'? I've got to restock.

Jon

Well it's 11:00 a.m. pacific time and I'm hitting the road. :smoke:

See ya all soon. :D

Zensius, go to the Truckhaven 2002 18-19th post and you will find a link for equipment to bring. One of the most important items to bring is plenty of WATER!!! Even though it will be cool the air is still very dry. I'm leaving in about 4 hrs. See you there.

Originally posted by Aquaman

Thanks,

If you can hit box canyon during the day time you will realy like the geology that is able to be viewed as you are driving along as well.

When I went to school at NAU and would visit my parents in San diego I would go through box canyon. however be prepared on the sunday return trip for it to be packed with people. I think most of the people that live in mecca go there on Sundays for picnics cause there were always a ton of people there on sundays.

Matt

Just to let all you guys that are heading out now that you all suck. I am up in frresno till saturday night then pull an all nighter to be able to go wheeling sunday with you guys. My truck is packed and ready at my parents place pull in switch cars and ill see all you guys out there sunday morning.

Matt

Bummer

Bad news for me!
Lost a manager to alcohol abuse and now working the weekend to cover his shift. Really ticked off right now. Still at work at 2:30AM!
Wish everyone well and a safe weekend.
Rick:mad:
To ad insult to injury, when I left the house this morning, my cable connection was down...

Talk about your last minute breakdowns

I am so bummed. Apparently, about 200 miles south of home on the way to San Diego, my wife had a problem with the truck. When she explained it to me it sounded like it was the starter. Well, sortive, the flex plate, the flywheel on an automatic that bolt to thetorque converter, decided it was time to crack and over flex itself. the teeth on the outside of the flexplate hit the starter from the amount it moved and seperated. I even made a last ditch effort before I actually knew what it was to replace the starter Friday night and make the Saturday potluck and the Sunday run, then I looked through the starter hole and saw all the cracks and bends in the flex plate. Has anyone ever heard or seen this?

It's a good thing I didn't go. An intake manifold gasket blew and dumped a bunch of coolant. So now I think I am going to replace as many gaskets as possible now. I'm glad this didn't happen in say, Kettlemen City:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry some of you guys missed the run. I had a blast. Wanted to thank everyone that went for being so helpful. Hope to see you all soon.:bounce:

Back