True duals w/ H pipe or dual out muffler better? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

True duals w/ H pipe or dual out muffler better?

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Which is better? True duals with an H pipe or single muffler with dual outs? Which would sound better/deeper? This is going on a V6 btw...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you wouldnt want true tuals you would want a single inlet dual outlet muffler.....true dials doenst have enough back pressure for the engine.....ohh and keep the 2.25 exast diameter....anagin not enough back pressure without it..........err wait is this a SOCH or a OHV

uhh i dont know about yours but mine is dual inlet single outlet (stock)...seems like it'd be major work to make single in/dual out

I Have A 50 Series Dual In Dual Out Flowmaster That Works And Sounds Great. The Hardest Job Was Finding Someone To Custom Bend The Pipes For Me.... Not A Lot Of Room Underneath.

pfeffer1728 said:
uhh i dont know about yours but mine is dual inlet single outlet (stock)...seems like it'd be major work to make single in/dual out
ahh you are SOCH then i am OHV i am single inlet single out let....as to why i asked why he was either an OHV or SOCH

If it's SOHC then stick with either dual in/single out or dual in/dual out.

If it's OHV then you should stay with single in and maybe step up to 2.5" single out or 2.25 dual out. You want to keep some backpressure with these motors to avoid torque loss.

Watch the H pipe setup on a V6, they can sound raspy and ricey...

H-pipes are old-school.

ALOT of motors have been shown to make MORE power all over with an X-pipe....X-pipes are quieter, produce EVEN exhaust tones L & R, and make more Torque & HP than their Straight pipe equivilent.

On my 347, I'm going to do 2.5" Duals with an X pipe......

Ryan

Back