The Storm Chaser
Reaction score
City, State
Agawam, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Callsign
WX4FUN
Has anyone purchased or built storage drawers for the 'trunk' of their Interceptor? I've started looking for something and I'm looking for opinions on the setups that are available.

When we switched over to the PIU from the CVPI, alot of our guys were taking the OEM Ford police trunk pack (fancy organizer) out of their Crown Vics and putting back there. It fit nicely and still left you with plenty of room. You can often find these very cheap, almost free on eBay but the shipping can get you.

Slightly off topic, just this spring / summer I ordered several 16's and two 17's for admin with the interior upgrade package (cloth front and rear seats plus carpet). Well, the plastic cover over the spare tire is still just bare plastic. Then, I went to our local vendor and ordered the WeatherTech rear cargo mat. They didn't have one specifically for the PIU, so i ordered them for a retail Explorer without the 3rd row seat. They fit OK, but are too wide on the left and right in the very back. Apparently, those trim panels are slightly different (wider) on the retail Explorer so the cargo liner on the PIU kind of curves up on the sides. That is the first problem, but the bigger problem is the mat slides around everywhere. That plastic cover over the spare tire is pretty slick. The guys have used everything from velcro to rubber lining to make it a little rougher to where the WeatherTech won't slide around.

I have a 17' with the liner and ending up putting a very slim mud flap under the liner to keep it in place.

I'm a little disappointed with just how slick that piece is and it's not the most sturdy. We've had install techs back there running wires and some have knelt down on that piece and had it crack. These aren't big guys either.

Back