• Register Today It's free!

truth of the odometer

woknap

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean Park, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
I am confused by all the different answers on the internet about roll over miles.

if I have 24 as the first two digits, does that mean I have 240K plus miles on my 1993 because tenths become first digit?

or do I have 24K after one or two roll overs; could be 124K or 224K?

is there a secret way to know for sure?
I like my purchase, but hard to "understand" my X without mile knowledge.
thanks for the forum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry I put this in wrong years forum...I am seeing if I can delete it.

I moved it to the proper forum for ya. ;)

Tenths don't become first digit. If yours has rolled over, it could be 100,000, 200,000 or whatever. If you weren't the owner when it rolled over, you can either just guess what it is, or do something like a carfax check.

On a '93 you have the old style odometer with the number wheels, so the first digit will stay what it was. If you only have 6 numbers and the one all the way to the right is a white wheel, then that one is tenths and the first one would be the ten thousands. It wasn't until the digital odometers where after you flip 100k the tenths would drop off and show the hundred thousands place.

My 94 Explorer and the cluster from the 92 ranger shows 100,000 mile marks but the bronco 2 and most of my other trucks show only 10,000 mile marks.

My 94 explorer and the 92 ranger both have the number wheels. Heck even the cluster in the 96 ranger and my mom's 97 expedition is number wheeled only my 02 F250 and our 07 Harley has digital numbers.
Trav

Well it wouldn't be 24K unless your truck looks brand new. So most likely 124K or 224K. My dad originally bought our X when it read 56K. He thought it really had only 56K but after driving it owning it for a while we came to the conclusion it really had 156K. The truck had just been detailed and cleaned up so well it looked in newer condition then it really was.

Thanks, that helped

Back