Try my best to explain lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Try my best to explain lol

Reaction score
City, State
Parts unknown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford explorer sport
I have a 2000 explorer sport ohv engine. I have issues with it wanting to go the right speed when I press the gas sometimes it's sputtered to now it's seeming like something is holding it back not wanting to let it go and can only get to 40 when lightly pressing gas. It doesn't do this all the time it's almost like it builds up and starts doing it then after it's been off so a few hours it's good again for a little bit? Idk much about cars sorry if it's not good explanation lol I have changed fuel filter air filter and cleaned the throttle body hasn't seemed to make a difference. Any help would be amazing or if you know a better way of being able to explain it better let me know lol thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like limp mode to me. Have your local auto store scan it for free

Already had it scanned they said nothing is wrong with it went there as it was doing it and no check engine lights. Mine might be burnt out as I've never seen it light up but idk either way the tester came back with nothing

I had it scanned with the tester at AutoZone in case that matters

The check engine light will illuminate when you first turn the key on, with all the other lights. My first suspect would be the fuel pump.

See if you can notice what your rpms are doing. Notice at idle and various speeds. If those rpms seem higher than normal at any point in time you may have a bad idle air control valve or a vacuum leak somewhere like the air intake not being on tight or any various cheap plastic vacuum tube having snapped just because it's old. Good luck!

The check engine light will illuminate when you first turn the key on, with all the other lights. My first suspect would be the fuel pump.
Wouldn't it not turn on if the fuel pump is bad? My gas gage is broken too not sure if that's a fuse or the level on the pump itself

See if you can notice what your rpms are doing. Notice at idle and various speeds. If those rpms seem higher than normal at any point in time you may have a bad idle air control valve or a vacuum leak somewhere like the air intake not being on tight or any various cheap plastic vacuum tube having snapped just because it's old. Good luck!
Honestly it seems like the rpms are lower than it should be but I know I need to do the spark plugs soon so I figured that would be the issue for that but as my name suggests I'm a newb and have no idea lol

Yeah the check engine light doesn't come on even then. I'm not sure if it's a fuse or the lightbulb itself

My mistake.
Fuel pump would also be my second guess.

Check your fuel pressure if you have a tester.
I don't have a tester. I was told I could do a tool rental from AutoZone hopefully they have it for one of those

I mean wouldn't the car itself not turn on if the fuel pump is bad? I have never seen the check engine light even when turning the car on. Sorry if there was confusion

I don't believe the computer talks to the fuel pump beyond sending voltage to the fuel pump relay for it to come on. The fuel pump could have a problem, or the pressure regulator which may be integral with the pump assembly, as well as the fuel level sensor (often all part of the same assembly). Check your fuel pressure (pressure testers can be had at a parts store). If low (spec for my '01 5.0 is ~60 psi), first replace the fuel filter. After that, if still low, look at a quality replacement fuel pump assembly - it may fix your performance issue and the gas gauge. Get a Haynes manual for your rig, if you don't already, has much info you need.

I don't believe the computer talks to the fuel pump beyond sending voltage to the fuel pump relay for it to come on. The fuel pump could have a problem, or the pressure regulator which may be integral with the pump assembly, as well as the fuel level sensor (often all part of the same assembly). Check your fuel pressure (pressure testers can be had at a parts store). If low (spec for my '01 5.0 is ~60 psi), first replace the fuel filter. After that, if still low, look at a quality replacement fuel pump assembly - it may fix your performance issue and the gas gauge. Get a Haynes manual for your rig, if you don't already, has much info you need.
The first thing I changed was the filter but thank you I will check into all that. Any idea if there's a fuse for the check engine light or if the lightbulb itself is actually out?

My CEL burned out long ago (I think, at least it doesn't come on). Can help with passing inspections. A decent code scanner will be a much bigger help than the CEL. Scan monthly or when a problem is apparent, like poor acceleration / loss of power.

My CEL burned out long ago (I think, at least it doesn't come on). Can help with passing inspections. A decent code scanner will be a much bigger help than the CEL. Scan monthly or when a problem is apparent, like poor acceleration / loss of power.
What's a good code scanner that you would recommend?

I have an earlier version of this Zurich unit that Harbor Freight carries. Works well, indicates codes with summary, live data (i.e. fuel trim), resets codes. I may have to get an upgrade.

I'm sure there are other recommendations out there

Update: I have a ZR11 bought a couple of years ago.

No, a fuel pump won’t necessarily make a car not start. It could be supplying fuel, just at a lower pressure than it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, a fuel pump won’t necessarily make a car not start. It could be supplying fuel, just at a lower pressure than it should.
Any suggestions on a cheaper fuel pump? AutoZone wants 200+ for one

Back