Try my best to explain lol | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Try my best to explain lol

Get the Bosch. Just get the pump and not the whole sending unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found my write up from my last fuel pump change - honestly, you don't want to go cheap on a fuel pump assembly.
----snip----
Pressure test on the existing pump (Airtex c. 2016) was between 22 and 28 psi. Dropped the tank, pulled the old unit and the original receipt from the online purchase at Advance Auto and went to the store and got the replacement Adelphi unit. Flushed and painted the tank while it was out (ospho the rust, then Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and gloss grey topcoat), let it dry, then installed the new assembly and put the tank back in. Bled the fuel supply line with my pressure test set; new pump pushing 58 psi.*

*spurious details edited out
----snip---
Unless I need a part today, like right now, I get most parts at RockAuto, if you can wait a few days, here's a link to what should be for your rig:

I found my write up from my last fuel pump change - honestly, you don't want to go cheap on a fuel pump assembly.
----snip----
Pressure test on the existing pump (Airtex c. 2016) was between 22 and 28 psi. Dropped the tank, pulled the old unit and the original receipt from the online purchase at Advance Auto and went to the store. I called the week before and they said no problem with a warranty exchange for a Carquest version of the same (Airtex no longer carried). I get there, the young guy refunds the money by mistake, in the midst of the confusion with upset managers and several phone calls (warranty for an online purchase always throws them for some reason), I pointed out that the Adelphi unit (most expensive) was the closest equivalent. The young guy said sure... knocked about $75 off to match the price of the original that was refunded, and I made the purchase. Anyway, flushed and painted the tank while it was out (ospho the rust, then Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and gloss grey topcoat), let it dry, then installed the new assembly and put the tank back in (serious rain all day made for a messy crawl under the vehicle late in the day, and several mosquito bites). Bled the fuel supply line with my pressure test set; new pump pushing 58 psi. The Exploder started up on the first tray and is back to 20-22 mpg highway.
----snip---
Unless I need a part today, like right now, I get most parts at RockAuto, if you can wait a few days, here's a link to what should be for your rig:
To be honest I have no clue what you're talking about lol. I found the same kind that says it works from Amazon for $50 for the whole assembly. I don't have time to wait I need to fix it asap it's my only and daily driver

Hopefully your tank is close to empty, if not you can defuel from the inlet pipe with a small hose after removing the inlet hose. Otherwise, the tank will be too heavy. Remove the spare tire for more room. Support the tank with a floor jack, use a board under the tank to prevent damage. Loosen the front bolts. Remove the strap, lower the tank just enough to reach in and disconnect the, electrical, fuel (disconnect tool required) and vacuum lines. Remove the front bolts, lower the tank. My pump has bolts, some use a ring to fasten it. Hope this helps.

If you buy a cheap pump assembly you’ll be replacing it again shortly.

Harbor freight sells a fuel pressure test kit. I suspect the pump as well, but in the event we are all wrong, it's easier to test the pressure first than drop the tank.

Harbor freight sells a fuel pressure test kit. I suspect the pump as well, but in the event we are all wrong, it's easier to test the pressure first than drop the tank.
Doesn't AutoZone let me rent the fuel pressure tester? And even though it looks the same on Amazon the $50 fuel pump assembly is no good?

Doesn't AutoZone let me rent the fuel pressure tester? And even though it looks the same on Amazon the $50 fuel pump assembly is no good?
AutoZone will rent you a tester, that is an option. The $50 fuel pump on Amazon, if it isn't a Bosch you will be replacing it very often. Other members here have figured that out the hard way.

Buy once cry once

This is not a job you want to have to do on the side of the road at 2am with a full bag of gas

As my name suggests I'm a newb with anything involving cars and most of that thread I have no clue what you guys are talking about 🤦
It's a picture by picture instruction manual on how to change your fuel pump

In a nutshell. There’s a “sending unit”. This houses the fuel pump, the lines, and bolts into the tank. It’s an assembly. You can replace just t he pump, as it’s usually what always fails. Sometimes there’s a fuel pressure regulator, it’s been years since I’ve been in one of my tanks so I don’t remember. The factory pumps tend to last a long time. The cheap pumps like Airtex usually fail soon, sometimes within a few thousand miles.

Honestly, if you know nothing about cars, and cannot have your car down for any period of time this might be a job to farm out. The fuel line quick disconnects can be extremely frustrating.

First things first, though. You gotta test your pressure.

In a nutshell. There’s a “sending unit”. This houses the fuel pump, the lines, and bolts into the tank. It’s an assembly. You can replace just t he pump, as it’s usually what always fails. Sometimes there’s a fuel pressure regulator, it’s been years since I’ve been in one of my tanks so I don’t remember. The factory pumps tend to last a long time. The cheap pumps like Airtex usually fail soon, sometimes within a few thousand miles.

Honestly, if you know nothing about cars, and cannot have your car down for any period of time this might be a job to farm out. The fuel line quick disconnects can be extremely frustrating.

First things first, though. You gotta test your pressure.
I'm not sure what you mean by farm out but I appreciate the help. How does the pressure tester tell me that it's actually the pump and not something else?

Very few things will cause low pressure other than a pump. These all require the tank to be dropped for a visual inspection.

Farm it out means to pay someone else to do it.

Start learning

Read as many fuel pump threads on here as possible. YouTube helps too

You’ll need special tools to disconnect the fuel lines. You’ll want penetrating oil to spray into them before you try disconnecting

It honestly isn’t a hard job. But…it can take a long time. I fought with those quick disconnects for hours. Patience is key

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back