Trying to attatch Rocker Panel Molding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to attatch Rocker Panel Molding

I recently purchased a 93' XLT Explorer. The passenger side of the truck is missing the outer rocker panel molding. I bought a replacement molding from ford ($175.00!!). I also bought a bunch of clips that are supposed to be used to attatch the Molding to the rocker panel.The problem I have now is, it looks as though I'm missing some attachment holes on my Rocker Panel. The car was in an accident and most likely the rocker panel was replaced. I don't' know much about body work. I thought this would have been a cakewalk. Does anyone know how to attach the rocker panel molding. Are there alternative ways to attach the molding? I know there are no scew holes in place at all. has anyone else found this same issue?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have SOME of the holes you'll be golden.
Line up the moulding using the holes already there.
Don't click it on yet.
You may need a buddy to hold the other end of the rocker cover. Now , before you line this up get some blue Permatex from your Auto-Zone , but a dot on the end of the moulding clip. When you fit the moulding up using the old holes for alignemnt , just make sure you dot the Permatex dabed clips against the rocker.
When you pull the rocker away you'll have little blue dots telling you where to drill your holes.
DO NOT for get to put some primer AND some sealant on the holes for corosion protection.
Best of luck to ya.

Yeah, I guess I figured it would be something like that but, I was hoping to hear about some miracle adhesive that I could use. I'm not too excited about drilling holes in to the Body but, I guess if I take my time I should be OK. I'll go try to pick up that permatex. That sounds like it would make life much easier as well.
Thanks.

It doesn't nessicarily have to be Prematex. ANY sort of cream that is a different color than the truck it's self. As long as it is gooey enough to stick to the clips , and still leave a dab on the truck. I just said Permatex because you can find that stuff in most tool boxes.

Yeah I know what you mean. I have to go pick up the primer and sealer so, I figured I'd get that at the same time. Any type of drill bits in particular when going into the truck body?

Originally posted by caine217
Any type of drill bits in particular when going into the truck body?

Sharpe ! :D

Use an 1/8th inch drill bit as a pilot hole then step up to the correct size.
I use Snap-On drill bits which are very expensive but I do this for a living. I would not recomend such an investment for a weekend warrior.

This is an old post but helpful to me- Thanks MONMIX! An installed spare on my right front lost its retread on an interstate & took my right front rocker panel molding with it. Now I know what I'm looking for & how to install it.

If I find one at the boneyard, how do I pull a panel off without damaging it?

Thanks... Nancy

it would be tough to describe via the internet.

First remove all the "christmas tree " clips in the bottom using a good panel popper.

Next remove the phillips screws on the ends.

Now you are left with the clips. What you are going to do is separate the clips from the rocker cover, so in the end you will have the rocker cover in your hands and the clips still hanging from the Xplorer.
One by one use a lift up and out towards your self pulling motion. Once you get a few un done you can look and see how they come out and you should be able to get a rhythm.
To remove the clips, you will see two little tabs locking the clip in place. Pushing on that tab with a tiny screwdriver will do the trick.

When you go back on snap the clip into the rocker and push on.

Back