• Register Today It's free!

Trying to decide what to do.

jinx44

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I have a '99 Eddie Bauer Explorer. 5.0, AWD, 151,000 miles that I have had for about 5 years. Due to the current SUV market, miles on it, and some damage on the rear door, I was only carrying liability insurance. It was recently stolen, and was trashed.

The right rear tire was really low (probably picked up a thorn while on the farm), so I left it parked overnight at my business in a small town and drove my truck home. Someone stole it, and drove about 10 miles on the low tire until it blew, then started coming apart. The flinging tire ripped off the molding on the quarter and did a little damage to the quarter. They continued on the bare rim, wearing it down until the brake rotor was almost touching the pavement. All that was left of the wheel was the center with the spokes. The entire outer part of the wheel was gone.

Obviously the load of having one rear tire being half the diameter of the other took its toll on the drivetrain. I put the spare tire on, and drove it home. The engine was knocking badly, and the trans locks up when it shifts into 3rd. I am sure the clutches in the differential are toast, but the rearend isn't making noise so I am hoping the spiders are still good. I have no idea on the transfer case.

So now here is my dilemma. Part it out, rebuild it as stock, or go nuts. Going nuts will be one of 2 options. Either turbo and shoot for a 400-450HP street thrasher, or lift and tires for a trail rig.

A 5.0 would be a simple rebuild, and may just drop the crank out for new bearings and not even bother pulling the heads. Also, I have built several 4R70s, including one in my turbo mustang that was holding over 700RWHP and some for friends making 500+. So trans and engine rebuild will be cheap and easy. The limited slip won't be a problem either.

Before deciding what to do, I have a couple questions.

#1. How does the transfer case in these AWD work? Is it electronic or is it just all time? It doesn't feel like it engages/disengages like my wife's Aviator does. I am trying to figure out if it would have been damaged as well.

#2. About 2 years ago. My wife left the sunroof open and it rained about 5" that night. The next day when I opened the rear door, water came pouring out. Everything was soaked. About a week after that, the heated seats and cruise control stopped working. I am thinking a couple other things did as well, but I can't remember what they are. All the fuses look good. Could it be the GEM module, or???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

welcome man. well i dont know about a few questions you have for that but as far as rebuilding man go 347 stroker torque monster headers 3" Mac exhaust shift kit tune from James henson from hensonperformance.com and if u really want to go bad ass you could go with a turbo kit or an X charger. you will have one hell of a beast on your hands lol.
www.explorerexpress.com and www.hensonperformance.com should do you well lol

Welcome to the site! :)

welcome man. well i dont know about a few questions you have for that but as far as rebuilding man go 347 stroker torque monster headers 3" Mac exhaust shift kit tune from James henson from hensonperformance.com and if u really want to go bad ass you could go with a turbo kit or an X charger. you will have one hell of a beast on your hands lol.
www.explorerexpress.com and www.hensonperformance.com should do you well lol

I dig your login name. :D

I considered a 347 if I stay N/A and lift it. But with a turbo, stock displacement will make plenty enough power to split the block in half.

I have even considered a windsor swap, mainly due to an arguement a couple years back on a local mustang forum about how Saleen controlled the windsor in the '99 S351 using an EEC-V PCM. Basically the only problem would be the "distributor".

As for the shift kit, I would just "J-mod" the valve body and change out a couple things during the rebuild. And for tuning I have extensively used the SCT Pro Racer Software that I had for my 700HP turbo mustang. I can simply pick up another dongle for the explorer catch code.

Brooklyn, I haven't checked anything yet. The only thing I really miss is the cruise.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I dig your login name. :D

lol thx man ive used it as my alias ever since i started using computers lol
(>.<) I WANT MY CHEESYPOOFS!

^notice the cartman face lol

Back