Trying to figure out which way to go - HID's??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to figure out which way to go - HID's???

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
Seems as though most of us with the OEM projector lights would prefer to have HID's and I am one of them.

I have a vendor who deals with car parts and there is a chance I might be able to pick up a set of HID headlights, the entire assembly, with light and ballast, for a good price, but knowing it is a good price they might have some wear and tear and the rest of my car is perfect.

There is a website that seems to have a good reputation, The Retrofit Source and they have an HID kit at $160. with everything I need.

I just have to wonder as the assemblies are going to be twice or more the cost. I have no problem paying for a quality kit, but don't want beam issues and everything everyone is saying seems to imply that if you buy anyone's kit, you are going to run into that problem? Is that a correct assumption?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I came on here to look for some advice on these below? I found them on CarID for $99

The reviews are good however i was hoping to get a review from someone with an Explorer or even your responses to see what you all think ?

NOTTO® SE - Complete HID Conversion Kit from carid

Just trying to get an idea of which way to go for HID's. I also saw the OEM ones that are used from Ebay for about $260 from a 2011 Explorer.

The retrofit source is a great company but you will not get a complete kit from them for $160. Just priced it out and its about $400 for projector, ballasts and bulbs.

Plus it is a big job.

agreed. that 4160 is just probably the aftermarket upgrade kit thats just the bulbs, ballast/igniter and cables.

What am I missing here?

There are quite a few kits out there that allow you to put HID lights into the OEM XLT lights. Granted, there is discussion on the beam and the light output, but there are kits.

I was hoping that this vendor had a good kit that would do the job and enable me to simply replace my existing bulbs with new HID bulbs and igniters. I hate that my lights throw more yellowish then white.

What am I missing here?

There are quite a few kits out there that allow you to put HID lights into the OEM XLT lights. Granted, there is discussion on the beam and the light output, but there are kits.

I was hoping that this vendor had a good kit that would do the job and enable me to simply replace my existing bulbs with new HID bulbs and igniters. I hate that my lights throw more yellowish then white.

From what I have read, the optics in the Explorer's lights tend to suck. They work for the halogens, but simple HID bulb swaps result in poor focus, lots of bleed, and generalized disappointment.

I have a 2011 explorer limited with factory halogens that i replaced with a V-Leds 35 watt HID 5000k plug and play kit that works beautifully as an upgrade. Easy installation, $50 dollars. Light pattern is exactly the same as the halogen bulbs only whiter and briighter . This is a no brainer for the cost and performance gain. There has been many posts on this forum about the projector housing for the halogen lamp being the same as the one for the factory HID lamp, i believe this is true also. This is a low cost solution you wont be dissapointed by.

The retrofit source is a great company but you will not get a complete kit from them for $160. Just priced it out and its about $400 for projector, ballasts and bulbs.

Plus it is a big job.

I don't thinks so because as "russell bruesch" said: projector housing for the halogen lamp being the same as the one for the factory HID lamp.

So you will need only bulbs and ballasts + cables

I am intersted in this issue and I prefer to use OEM HID as well because aftermarket HID kit seems to give different results for different cars. Also, actual colors of these kit's are not as good as OEM ones.

I don't thinks so because as "russell bruesch" said: projector housing for the halogen lamp being the same as the one for the factory HID lamp.

So you will need only bulbs and ballasts + cables

I am intersted in this issue and I prefer to use OEM HID as well because aftermarket HID kit seems to give different results for different cars. Also, actual colors of these kit's are not as good as OEM ones.

Unless someone opened one up, there is no way to tell if the projector is the same. And I doubt it is, as the back half needs to be completely different to fit a HID bulb vs a Halogen.

That being said, I still think the OEM HID's are awful.

Pictures

Russell, do you have any pictures you can post of a before/after with the light beam??

I dont but other people on this forum have posted pictures of there retrofit from halogen to hid bulbs with the standard explorer projector housing.

I dont but other people on this forum have posted pictures of there retrofit from halogen to hid bulbs with the standard explorer projector housing.

ill post some from mine tonight.

Back