Trying to find correct lower ball joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to find correct lower ball joint

Exploring XLT

Never Stop Explorering
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
Hey guys, I have a 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4, I am replacing the ball joints, and need somone to help me figure out which ones fit, on the upper ball joints, the drivers is the imbedded pinch bolt, while the right side has the external head on the pinch bolt, not sure if this is normal, or if they should both be one of them.

For the lower ball joints, they do not have a pinch bolt, but the only Moog ones on rockauto have a pinch bolt, but also have a threaded stud, will it fit and just disregard the pinch bolt and extra clip? Are they only there in case you are only replacing the lower joint and need them to reassemble the top?

Screenshot_20200603-141159_Chrome.jpg

Here is the joint, I'm wondering if it will fit.

Hey guys, I have a 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4, I am replacing the ball joints, and need somone to help me figure out which ones fit, on the upper ball joints, the drivers is the imbedded pinch bolt, while the right side has the external head on the pinch bolt, not sure if this is normal, or if they should both be one of them.

For the lower ball joints, they do not have a pinch bolt, but the only Moog ones on rockauto have a pinch bolt, but also have a threaded stud, will it fit and just disregard the pinch bolt and extra clip? Are they only there in case you are only replacing the lower joint and need them to reassemble the top?

View attachment 316947

Here is the joint, I'm wondering if it will fit.
Not sure what you mean by internal and external head... you mean one is an actual bolt and another would fit a torqx? Either way, they should both be bolts.... pictures help in this scenario.

As for the ball joints, that screenshot is for the lower ball joint, the extra bolt and small clip is for replacement on the top should you not replace the joint itself. I had extras that I saved when I bought both top and bottom ball joints. The top ball joint will have a smooth, straight shaft, with a groove at the top for the c-clip. Hope this helps.

Not sure what you mean by internal and external head... you mean one is an actual bolt and another would fit a torqx? Either way, they should both be bolts.... pictures help in this scenario.

As for the ball joints, that screenshot is for the lower ball joint, the extra bolt and small clip is for replacement on the top should you not replace the joint itself. I had extras that I saved when I bought both top and bottom ball joints. The top ball joint will have a smooth, straight shaft, with a groove at the top for the c-clip. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, what I mean by internal vs external is where the pinch bolt head is compared to piece that it is pinching, one of the blots was inside, like the one in the picture would end up been, and one was external, with a built in washer head to keep it out of the channel, it seems when someone else replaced on side of it, they used the newer style, with the external bolt head, while they should have both been internal.
Screenshot_20200606-190050_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200606-190117_Chrome.jpg

Now that you mention it, I actually switched from the internal to the external when I did my ball joints, no negative effects after 10k miles.

Back