Trying to get an idea

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
Hi Everyone,

Hope all is going well! I have to say that the Sport is still awesome. I LOVE my Explorer- as it is just a year old and has 12k miles on it.

I wanted to know if anyone was surprised (by spouse, etc.) with a new vehicle and how was it done? I know the vehicle itself will be a great surprise, but I want to really knock his socks off. With the build time being 6-8 weeks, and the order was placed already. I have some time to plan a great surprise for my husband. The anticipated delivery time estimates around Father's Day. I think it would be fantastic to arrive that weekend, but I know anything can change. So if you can share any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Years ago we gave our daughter a car. We picked it up and hid it in a neighbors garage. While we all were out for dinner, our neighbor parked the car on our driveway and placed a huge bow on it. When we returned our daught saw the car and couldn't believe it!!! Our neighbor video taped it for us.

My friend was in the same predicament, so I came up with a plan for him. He complained about the manpower involved, but felt it was worth it in the end. Maybe it will inspire an idea.

His wife was the owner of a used 1990 vehicle, and her husband purchased a brand new 2001--exact same brand model and color, just brand new. She was in love with her 1990, but admitted it was "dying" and fell in love with the new (at the time) 2001 model. My friend purchased the 2001, but wanted to surprise her. Fortunately, the 2001 was having an alarm installed and the shop needed it for one night. Because both cars had the same alarm, but different alarm key fobs, I discovered that the 2001 car's alarm system was compatible with the old 1990 car's alarm key fob. So, I told her husband to play a switcheroo while having dinner--of course, this plan was executed with the help of a few friends/relatives.

My friend and his wife went to dinner in the 1990 car, only a block away from the security alarm shop. While at dinner, my friend secretly took his wife's keys and handed them off to an awaiting friend. The friend took the car to the shop to have the old 1990 key fob de-programmed (if that's a word) and synced to the 2001 car that was already to go and awaiting. After the fob was programmed to the new car, my friend drives the 2001 car back to the restaurant and parked in the same spot (which was "saved" by me parking in it :D ). Friend hands off keys to the husband, and husband plants it back it his wife's purse. At the end of dinner, they are about to leave of course. And just like almost anyone, she blindly pulls out her key and taps the disarm button on the fob as they are both in the parking lot walking towards their parking spot.

At first she was like, where the f* is my car??? Then you can imagine her surprise when she saw her 1990 magically change to 2001 :)

My friend thanked me for the idea. Of course, there's a side effect. Almost everytime they have dinner, she is jokingly expecting a brand new car in the parking lot LOL

This is perfect....The only "issue" I may have is changing from a white car to a royal blue. LOL. I can definitely make this happen with help from his best friend and my family.

Great idea!!!! :D

Back