Trying to get it right- | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to get it right-

My fabbing skills suck-I know this.
I feel my truck doesn't even deserve to be on these pages, where do I start?

here is the dirty ol thing as it sits now-I'm going in too attempt to address the issues.
Here is the list

1) leaking valve cover gasket---DONE!
2)oil leaking from fuel pressure guage
3) coilpack bracket needs modding---DONE!
4)intake tube needs fabbed--DONE!
5)throttle bracket fabrication--DONE!
6)wiring clean up--DONE
7) relocate egr stuff-extend wiring to solenoid and dpfe--DONE!
8) fix fuel lines-I don't need them running dual feed-DONE!
9) check lifters-rockers-retorque head nuts--DONE!
10) accessory wiring clean up --DONE!
11) powdercoat everything I can ---ongoing process

Now-this thing has been running fine yes-but if you looked under the hood you might wonder why. Let's see if I can't fix that-or at least improve a bit-

Attachments

• Dirty motor.jpg
    Dirty motor.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 794

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a China block, and I like the bracket. Hook up the cruise control, let's drive it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

any delfection when you depress the throttle?
Looks weakish thus far

Everything else finished looks amazing!
Drool

And I now get full throttle!

Well the cruise control is going to be an issue-I''m going to need to shorten the cable for one thing-and I might need to remove just a bit of material from the corner of the throttle body flange.
It will fit, but the end of the cruise control cable just hits the flange and doesn't let the throttle return all the way closed-and the cable length puts it in an awkward looking coil

Alright, everything looks good, but you could improve by changing out the other upper TB bolt to match the one holding the bracket. I don't know why, but I noticed this right off the bat.

Alright, everything looks good, but you could improve by changing out the other upper TB bolt to match the one holding the bracket. I don't know why, but I noticed this right off the bat.

one is a bolt-one a threaded stud-

2 of the 4 slots have studs-

Ok-
This is going slow-Without getting real personal, my priority's have been re arranged a bit. It's a good thing, just a bit challenging.
Anyway, about the Mounty-

I'm on the home stretch-
While inspecting my spark plug wires-I found 3 with cracks-
I finally found a set of Motorcraft replacements.
The mounty is in the driveway to give me room for powdercoating stuff, and it is raining :(
This kind of weather really screws with my physical well being-so today I'm just not into it really.

Hav eyou guys had a hard freeze yet? My boat is in Nebraska and I need to get it soon, finding the time has proven difficult, it needs to be winterized!!

Grey weather = sore joints, = hard to get motivated for truck stuff! would rather be wheeling

Yeah that sucks rainy humid days make me feel crappy too. It sounds like i'm poping popcorn in the mornings and my knees are stiff all day

NE hasen't gotten below about 45 yet but i bet it will by the end of the month
its still in the 50s and 60s during the day :thumbsup:

wires1.jpg

wires2.jpg

wires4.jpg

I replaced those ones later with some Taylors, and some of blue cheapo sererators melted and are now zip ties :)

Despite others attempts against it, I actually got a few good things done today-
I installed a burp bottle from a Mazda b2200 truck, which is on a bracket that allows it to slide off:cool:
I modified the bracket to mount to the grounding bolt on the inner fender-and cut a groove in it to allow the wires to go through -
I also made a bracket to support the pro-m maf using the stock airbox mount, and mounted the vacuum reservoir under the air filter-That all worked out real well-
I also took the time and routed my spark plug wires like 410fortune's pictures-I have pics if you really want to see-
The new wires have a metal boot on the hotter ones-I don't think I'll need to use the "socks"

Attachments

• burp bottle.jpg
    burp bottle.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 233
  • driver side wire boots.jpg
    driver side wire boots.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 227

Fired up and ready to go then?

Back