Trying to get it right- | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to get it right-

My fabbing skills suck-I know this.
I feel my truck doesn't even deserve to be on these pages, where do I start?

here is the dirty ol thing as it sits now-I'm going in too attempt to address the issues.
Here is the list

1) leaking valve cover gasket---DONE!
2)oil leaking from fuel pressure guage
3) coilpack bracket needs modding---DONE!
4)intake tube needs fabbed--DONE!
5)throttle bracket fabrication--DONE!
6)wiring clean up--DONE
7) relocate egr stuff-extend wiring to solenoid and dpfe--DONE!
8) fix fuel lines-I don't need them running dual feed-DONE!
9) check lifters-rockers-retorque head nuts--DONE!
10) accessory wiring clean up --DONE!
11) powdercoat everything I can ---ongoing process

Now-this thing has been running fine yes-but if you looked under the hood you might wonder why. Let's see if I can't fix that-or at least improve a bit-

Attachments

• Dirty motor.jpg
    Dirty motor.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 814

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well I have the water neck and lower intake ready to bolt on-
I went ahead and powdercoated it-

This color is awesome-here is with and without flash--
I don't know what the funny reflection in the side is-iI think it's my garden implements:dunno:

Attachments

• lower w flash.jpg
    lower w flash.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 310
  • lower wo flash.jpg
    lower wo flash.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 300

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here is the upper plennum-try to ignore the ugly spacer--
I'm going to do the upper side panel and elbow and call it a night.

Attachments

• upper 2.jpg
    upper 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 313
  • upper 1.jpg
    upper 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 307

Haha you cooked the IAC? is it gonna work now?
No-
I sanded it with a floppy drum on my smallest drill press, then polished what I could get to with a buffing wheel on my bench grinder.
It took me about 15-20 minutes:D

I don't know why I'm doing this really-I don't think I'll ever get this engine bay looking good-:(

Anywhoooo
I called BBK, I definitely CANNOT bake the throttle body-and BTW the bearings are not replaceable. So-I will rattle can it silver and try to mist it with black maybe.
Time now to modify the coil pack bracket mounts--this should be fun-I get to weld. I think--

Looks good Jon. I'm going to be doing the same with my IAC and the Edelbrock TB that I have. I've found that a brass wire wheel does pretty well on the aluminum parts. The steel ones seem to take away too much material.

Nice work there, is that very close to being the Edelbrock RPM intake?

Actually Don, it is a takeoff of the "performer"

ok-
My custom combination coilpack - fuel pressure regulator bracket is complete-I now have secure 3 point mounting -and it is powdercoated to match intake.
Not only did the legs need to be lengthened-, but I also removed most of the sides allowing more room for the fuel lines--
This is the first thing I ever fabbed and welded successfully
I am so proud of myself I took pictures of every step-:p:

Attachments

• bracket finished.jpg
    bracket finished.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 280

Well another on my list of things--
my home made EGR tube was just that-made out of 2 tubes with a sleeve welded in to connect-It works great.
Of course, theres a catch, I mean I rigged it:D I'm trying to permanently fix all these issues--remember?

It has (or had) a 3rd tube running off of it because I wasn't sure af the orifice and DPFE function-so when the muff shop welded it up for me I had them leave it on.
since it is a bit in the way I cut it off and tried to weld the tiny hole shut.
I made the hole a bit smaller but created 2 new ones:eek: :eek:

Ummm HELP!!

I'm liking that color on the intake, it is darker in certain lighting. Is that the mirror chrome also? Night,

I'm liking that color on the intake, it is darker in certain lighting. Is that the mirror chrome also? Night,

This color is "black chrome"

I like it a lot--

Hmm, tough call between the colors. Let me know what you think of the different effect between them in the truck, versus the other under hood colors. You have black borders and body, so it will be different for each truck color. I generally like more color than chrome or silver.

could you by pass it for now? I know you dont want to...

Well another on my list of things--
my home made EGR tube was just that-made out of 2 tubes with a sleeve welded in to connect-It works great.
Of course, theres a catch, I mean I rigged it:D I'm trying to permanently fix all these issues--remember?

It has (or had) a 3rd tube running off of it because I wasn't sure af the orifice and DPFE function-so when the muff shop welded it up for me I had them leave it on.
since it is a bit in the way I cut it off and tried to weld the tiny hole shut.
I made the hole a bit smaller but created 2 new ones:eek: :eek:

Ummm HELP!!

turn your feed up and your heat down, take your time. dun know what else to tell you. if its really thin tubing you might be sol they might have used a mig to weld them it at the shop (i would have)

Back