• Register Today It's free!

trying to install rear dvd?

04eddie

Reaction score
City, State
lisbon,maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
ok,, heres my situation. i have a 2004 ford explorer eddie bauer. it came with everything but the rear dvd. so i came acrossed this really sweet deal where i bought the rear dvd for 40 bucks. it came with the harness that comes out of the dvd player, but not the one that plugs into the stock hu. so does anyone know the wiring diagram for that harness, or what i need to do to install it with a aftermarket double din dvd(which i have installed right now).
also will a haynes manual have all the wiring diagrams for the dvd player?

one more thing, when i installed the aftermarket double din dvd player the audio is coming out of the subwoofer. if i move the audio to each speaker then it comes throught it barely, most of the sound is coming out of the subwoofer....PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so heres the wires i need to know about. its the 16 pin harness that comes directly off of the rear dvd player.

top row- brown/orange stripe(unknown), tan(unknown) blue/pink stripe(unknown)green/black stripe(unknown) black/blue strip(unknown) black(unknown)

bottom row- white/yellow stripe(unknown), yellow(unknown), orange(unknown) white(unknown) red(unknown) and exposed bare wire(unknown)

any help i would appreciate it, if anyone has a haynes manual i believe the wiring diagram is in the back. i could be wrong

so ive decided to sell the aftermarket din dash and put in the factory radio. and im gonna hard wire the wires in the back

ok so i just went out and put my stock radio back and hard wired the dvd player and nothing happened, im about to trash this dvd player.... ill try one more thing and this will be gone

take pics of the head rest screens and dvd. i am pretty sure there was no such thing as "factory" headrest screens in 04.

we need more info to help you out!

Whats the Radio Part No.? What color are the connectors in the back of the Radio Black or Grey? Ya, in '04 there are two types of harnesses determined by the color. Black or 'World' are '03 and before while the Grey is PhaseII or '05 and later to make matters worse.

My guess is both the Radio and DVD need to plug into the Body Module. Corp Bus A/B wires. On the back of my radio i have a 20pin plug which is mostly full, this runs along the passenger side of the body and runs up the 'C' Pillar to a Green connector, which had about 20 wires in it too. Its as if the BCM has to tell the Radio that a DVD exists before it works.

When i added the Audiophile Radio, i had to add the Sub/Amp harness and what I did was go to the junkyard and clip the Radio side of the harness and the back one by the Sub, and re-run the wires on my own.

Next idea is the Radio doesn't support DVD, but i think thats unlikely. On a side note the Radio i pulled which did work with the stock DVD (which by the way is like 3 feet wide) is still available, collecting dust.

Another option I thought PIE now makes an adapter for the Rear DVD to work with an aftermarket HU.

i never said i had headrest screens. so here is what i did. i put my factory head unit back in and i still have the rear dvd, but i need the complete wiring harness for it so i can install it. do you guys know where i can get this without paying out the a** for it

only way i found the harness for my subwoofer amp was in a junkyard. it was a big job to pull the whole thing as it looked like part of the door harness, although it might be possible. Rather than that, i cut the plugs off with about 1' of wire to spare. Then soldered, taped and recreated the harness using regular RCA wire. The signal wire should be shielded.
which plugs do you have on the back side of the radio, black or gray, i have the schematics i could send you a copy, but there two types.

QUOTE"only way i found the harness for my subwoofer amp was in a junkyard" is that for the rear dvd or were you giving me a example? i have grey wires in the back of the radio. maybe we can talk so i can explain to you what i did. pm your number.

Back