Trying to install warrior spring shackles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to install warrior spring shackles

ExpSprtGi

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
on my 2001 sport. I got the spring disconnected from the lower end of the factory shackle with a bit of persuasion, but the upper bolt won't budge from the bushing (I got the nut off without too much trouble). Any secrets to doing this? I've already torqued on it enough with a breaker bar that I think the bushing may be separating from the rubber. As a last resort I guess I could try to drill out the bolt, but that doesn't seem like a very good option.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have to replace the frame/ shackle bushings if it's too far rusted. I had to do that on mine.

Well...I got the old bolts out, with the split bushings still attached (had to pry them out with a long crowbar)! Even after removal, I still couldn't get the bushings separated from the bolts. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the Ford dealer to get new bushings/rubbers installed.

You can press them in with a hammer and a big socket, that's what I did. Just make sure to split the end on the inside of the frame rail side like the factory was. I tack welded mine to the frame.

So did you just buy new split bushings and drive them into the existing rubber pieces? Is it a standard size bushing that you can buy somewhere?

Thanks

Helpful info

Thank You

Another question..

I should have asked, what is involved in removing the old "bushing assemblies"? Any special tool needed? When I forced out the shackle bolts, the steel split bushing seperated from the rubber and came out with the bolts. So, the remainder of the bushing assembly is still stuck in the frame.

Thanks for any additional help with this.

my upper bolts were extremely tight i used 2 cans of pb blaster and just worked bolt back and forth till it freed up

Got the bushings replaced...not fun

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but the bushings in my truck (01 Sport) were incredibly tight. I spent over 3 hours getting them out with a hammer and chisel. I tried hammering the new bushings (about $110 for the pair from the Ford dealer) into place, but I could only get them about half way in (my right ear is still ringing). I ended up getting some 1/2-13 threaded rod from Home Depot and some hex-nuts to jerry rig a press tool (along with some very large sockets to press against the correct surfaces on the frame and bushing). It wasn't pretty but worked surprisingly well to get the bushings fully seated. I though the shackle installation was going to be the 'easy' job compared to the add-a-leafs. Just the opposite in my case.

Glad to hear you got the new bushings in. If you didn't do it when you installed the new bolts I would highly suggest putting some anti-sieze on the bolts and inside the bushings sleeve.

Back