• Register Today It's free!

Trying Update Through Phone?

Big Sky

Reaction score
City, State
Billings, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I'm about ready to throw my phone at the Sync 3 in my Explorer. I downloaded the Ford Pass onto my phone, got set up, synced my phone to the car, then tried to do the update with the APP on the screen. Got the APP to come up, showed a menu but nothing in the menu drop down, then dropped the connection. Did this several times. I've about had it. To me it should be simple. Am I doing this correctly? Should I just take it to the dealer and have them update it? Mine is a 2017 and is still under warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you attempting to update the version of Sync 3? I don't know if anyone has done this using the method you described. I believe all have used the download to a USB route.

Peter

I am new to this "tech". How do I get the USB?

You'll have to forgive me, where would I check that an upgrade is available? I know on the navigation side the speed limit signs are wrong and am not sure if it would update those or not. I thought maybe the dealer would provide the USB flash drive.

You'll have to forgive me, where would I check that an upgrade is available? I know on the navigation side the speed limit signs are wrong and am not sure if it would update those or not. I thought maybe the dealer would provide the USB flash drive.
Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site
I doubt that an update would correct the speed limit signs since I believe that has more to do with the Navigation. I have the same issue here with one of the highways on which work was being done for a year or so and they dropped the speed limit. Now that the work has been completed and the limit is back to normal, the speed limit icon on the navigation screen still shows the lower limit. I guess that will be corrected when/if a navigation update is done.

Peter

I feel like such an idiot. I finally figured out that our Explorer has Wifi so I got that connected and it is doing the update that way. It is taking a long time. We'll see how that goes.....

I don't think anyone, including me, has been able to use the vehicle's WiFi connection to download an update. I read somewhere a day ago that there is an issue with that system in that it is not able to successfully complete a "handshake".

Peter

Back