Solved - TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
It's good to know that there are some kit part numbers. I'll check on those prices also. I chose to leave my crank and jackshaft gears, they are steel slow wearing items, and new parts were special order and not cheap.

BTW, have you got yours running, I gather you have a new crank gear? My only mistake was not critical, but very troublesome, I accidently flipped my crank gear when I had to retime my balance shaft. You can see it as wrongly installed in the picture above, see the tiny dots/dimples on the front of the gear. The crank gear has a flat side with the dimples, and the front side has a concave area, which the balancer fits into.

My balancer didn't seem to line up with the other pulleys, I R&R'd the balancer and didn't think of the crank gear being different front to back. I got it running much much later, and it ran fine, though the belt rode up on the back edge of the balancer pulley. It took me a day to decide to pull the front back apart to figure it out. I had been to see Ford mechanics three times with no good ideas, the fourth time someone heard my plight and had done the same thing. Evidently it is very rare to find someone who has made this mistake, and pictures in shop manuals showed nothing, plus no reference to orientation of the gear. I had to retime the engine after flipping the gear, so I have done the job twice basically.

Hopefully you didn't do the same thing, it seems really simple to keep track of, but I forgot. We live and learn. Regards,

Lol, not as rare as you may think. I did the same thing. Funny thing is, the directions that come with the kit has a diagram so you don't do that! LOL, that is why I put in bold or caps print to follow the directions, I wasn't ready to tell about my reversal of the gear. So, rest assured, you are not the only one to have done this. The frustrating thing is all of the disassembly that must take place once you realize the harmonic balancer will not seat on the crank properly.

I do have it running, I have almost 700 miles since the initial start up. The motor purrs like a kitten, and if I had Lake pipes, I'd be singing the Beach Boys. Seriously though, I purchased this Ex at an auction about two years ago with 109,000 miles on it. Now that I have done the chains, it has never run quieter or better. The oil will be changed sometime this week, and I have a new lower oil pan to install. The original is very rusty and has a dent in the round part that extends down, I had a little issue with my hoist when I was taking the engine off the motor stand, ouch, resulting in an order for a new pan. The original is holding up, but, anyone who crawls under will question how it(the dent) got there I'm sure.

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to have noticed my mistake in your pictures, LOL. My tool kit didn't have any real good instructions, a few pictures on one page.

I am about to change oil for the third time in my truck, I went to Pennzoil Synthetic last time, and it is still transparent.

BTW, Advance Auto is selling out all of their Pennzoil Platinum at half price, $2.89 per quart, which makes it the best deal going right now. Buy what they have left if you can. Regards,

The kit number for the front left side kit is 7U3Z6A257A . I know this because it was ordered as the main kit, vice the left front.

The kit number for the front left side kit is 7U3Z6A257A . I know this because it was ordered as the main kit, vice the left front.

I just got back from my sister's place with all my tools and other crap. My brother in law actually threw out the piece of cardboard that listed all of the purchased parts for the job. So, I will have to dig up my receipts to get the kit number for the right rear cassette and jackshaft plug. They should all be in my tool box.

I got your pm about the tool kit, and that will be fine. I will email your address when I get home later and we can work out the details.

Gotta run, a lesson on the solar system must be written!

These were all of the parts and current part #'s that I ordered from Ford yesterday.

Rear Cassette(Passenger Side)
4L2Z-6M290-AA

Front Cassette(Driver Side)
4L2Z-6M289-AA

Timing Cover Gasket
F77Z-6020-AB

Girdle Gasket
F77Z-6710-AA

Balance Tensioner
1L2Z-6L266-AA

Jackshaft Tensioner
YL2Z-6L266-AA

Jackshaft Chain
F77Z-6268-AB

Jackshaft Chain Guide
2L2Z-6K297-AA

Jackshaft Cap/Cover
F77Z-6C341-AA

Balance Tensioner
1L2Z-6L266-AA...
Why did you order the balance shaft tensioner? Do you plan on removing and retiming the balance shaft? Both oil pans have to be removed to get to the balance shaft.

I might as well. I want to inspect the main brgs. before I put everything back together. No sens in doing this 1/2 a$$. It would be my luck. I would put everything back together and 2,000mi later I spin a bearing and Im screwed again. Its cheap insurance the way I look at it.

Good, as long as you are expecting the work. Do follow the shop manual well, the timing of the balance shaft chain/gears was not hard, other than being on your back looking up.

I wont be on my back. Its sitting on the engine stand waiting for parts from Ford. The tensioner was only like $28. And if Im timing the engine whats another hour to do the balance shaft. Question for you. How durable do you think the oil pumps are in the 4.0? Reason I ask is the pickup had a huge piece of tensioner or guide jammed in the bottom when I dropped the pan. Do you think that the restricted oil flow would have damaged the pump?

I did replace my pump since I had to pull the pans, and I didn't have any debris. I would change it if the mileage is over say 50k, it cost about $90. That little balance shaft tensioner broke in mine the instant I tried to slide the chain off, it is very fragile. Doing that B.S. timing will only take you a few minutes after you understand the instructions. Regards,

So , can you replace the rear tensioner without removing the engine or not? What special tools will I need. I can rent them from a place I know. I just don't know exactly what I need. I would probably crap myself if my 4.0 was quiet. It sounds like a powerstroke ALL the time. It never stops.

Mate, the special toolsyou'll need are a otc 6488 timing gear kit .I believe they are available from national tool ware house and a guy called Allen VanDenBerg on 8663581919 toll free and 4173581919 .Mate I'm in Australia as Don would know as I've been in touch with him over this very issue ,Good luck guys I'm looking at the same thing here but scourcing my parts from the US as out here they cost an arm and a leg. Cheers Foxy

So , can you replace the rear tensioner without removing the engine or not? What special tools will I need. I can rent them from a place I know. I just don't know exactly what I need. I would probably crap myself if my 4.0 was quiet. It sounds like a powerstroke ALL the time. It never stops.

That tensioner can be changed quickly, after removing the inner fender. You need a 1/2" ratchet with a long extension of about 22 inches or so. Remove the old part, and install the new one with 49lbs.ft. of torque. You need the extension length to get the ratchet outside of the wheelwell for leverage. Good luck,

Attachments

• SOHC RearTensioner.JPG
    SOHC RearTensioner.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 12,139

CDW6212R, Would those part no's that White98 has submitted fit my sohc 9/99 build because out here it's nigh impossible to get the no's from ford just wandering ?

CDW6212R, Would those part no's that White98 has submitted fit my sohc 9/99 build because out here it's nigh impossible to get the no's from ford just wandering ?

I just called up my local for dealer and asked them to fax me a quote with the part #'s and prices. The guy at the local dealership faxed them to me with in an hour. I would give that a shot, just have your VIN # ready to give to ensure that you are quoted the appropriate parts.

FordTech faxed me a copy of the parts list , special tools , and step by step instructions. Very cool ! If anyone wants a copy, PM me your fax number:D

FordTech faxed me a copy of the parts list , special tools , and step by step instructions. Very cool ! If anyone wants a copy, PM me your fax number:D

how about you post them up here, or scan her in, that would really help me out when i got o do this the end of this summer.

quick question for you don, your pictures you took of your engine, seem to be of the engine pulled, i didn't think you pulled your engine when you did it?

and to just make sure i'm getting everything right, what CAN BE replaced without pulling the engine is:

Front Cassette(Driver Side)
Jackshaft Tensioner
Jackshaft Chain Guide
Rear Cam Tensioner
Jackshaft Chain

sorry, don't mean to repeat information, i just like to double and tripple check stuff. You guys are great, this thread has a lot of nice info.

I don't have a scanner. I got the sheets from FordTech and I faxed them to White98. Maybe one of those guys have a scanner. The part number for the whole kit is 2U3Z-6D256-CA. This is for balance shaft engines (4x4). The other kit is 2U3Z-6D256-DA for non balance shaft engines (2x4)

Basically all of the valvetrain stuff can be done except for the rear cassette, plus the balance shaft(4WD) would require lifting the engine some, to get the pans off.

My truck was a whole body off project, to replace the rear clip, so I did most of my work without the body on. The front clip in the foreground is the original part from my 99 Limited, and below is the 99 chassis. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread001.JPG
    Projectthread001.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 10,685
  • Projectthread011.JPG
    Projectthread011.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 12,792

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats why i was kinda confused, i saw those pictures from your other thread a while ago and i just wasn't sure when you did it, thats all. thanks

also, how did you clean your valve covers? or did you just buy new ones, sorry don't mean to be off topic but that is one clean engine.

Back