Solved - TSB 05-12-6 2002 Explorer Rear End Whine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved TSB 05-12-6 2002 Explorer Rear End Whine

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Ford Explorer Rear End Whine/Hum
TSB 05-12-6

Vehicles:

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
2002-2005 Mercury Mountaineers

Issue:

Some vehicles listed above may have a whine/hum during acceleration, deceleration, and/or cruise.

Action:

Use axle repair kit to fix the issue. This kit should be used instead of installing a complete rear axle assembly. Replace the Ring and Pinion and it's components.

NOTE: When servicing the rear axle on these vehicles, replace the 75w-90 gear oil with 75W-140. If the axle is equipped with a Limited Slip, add the required amount of friction modifier (XL3). When replacing the fluid, replace metal tag with F3TZ-4121-AA tag.

Kit Part Numbers:
  • 8.8" 3.55 Gear Ratio - 5L2Z-4209-AA
  • 8.8" 3.73 Gear Ratio - 5L3Z-4209-C

Time: 6.6 Hrs for Explorer/Mountaineer

-Drew
How is this working out now? My husband took our 2002 to Roger Shiflett Ford in Gaffney, SC on November 2018. They only replaced right rear hub and bearing at the cost of 663.19. It has gotten worse. I am considering another garage. Can it be fixed?

if i understand tou, then if that is the fix, it can still be done today. the hubs can also be replaced if they are faulty. im not versed in the third gen, but yes r&ps can be replaced, and so can hubs.

Back