• Register Today It's free!

TSB Question?

damiensmomma

Reaction score
City, State
DIckinson, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Ok, this might be a dumb question but bear with me, I've never had this new of a car, or one with so many problems!:( What is the usual repair policy for TSB's? LUCKILY, we bought an extended aftermarket warranty on our Ex when we bought it, but with how many times it's been in the shop I'm afraid that I'll still be having problems after the warranty runs out. Are TSB's covered fully by the dealer even if you have no warranty remaining? Also, can your car be serviced for a TSB that it doesn't show symptoms for yet just as proactive maintenance? So far I've had it in for a TPMS issue, the overheating issue, and now the HVAC regulator door issue is getting looked at next week. I have other TSB's that have shown up as well, including the tin roof noise, the A pillar rattle, and the window chatter, but I don't like my dealer very much so I've decided to just live with the smaller problems. I'm starting to think I'm going to get to deal with every single TSB in existence at some point with this car.:mad: Thank goodness I have 2 other cars to get me around while the Ex visits its buddies at the dealer (both of which have over 200k on them, but no problems for the last 5 years) Maybe I should've just stuck with them.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, this might be a dumb question but bear with me, I've never had this new of a car, or one with so many problems!:( What is the usual repair policy for TSB's? LUCKILY, we bought an extended aftermarket warranty on our Ex when we bought it, but with how many times it's been in the shop I'm afraid that I'll still be having problems after the warranty runs out. Are TSB's covered fully by the dealer even if you have no warranty remaining? Also, can your car be serviced for a TSB that it doesn't show symptoms for yet just as proactive maintenance? So far I've had it in for a TPMS issue, the overheating issue, and now the HVAC regulator door issue is getting looked at next week. I have other TSB's that have shown up as well, including the tin roof noise, the A pillar rattle, and the window chatter, but I don't like my dealer very much so I've decided to just live with the smaller problems. I'm starting to think I'm going to get to deal with every single TSB in existence at some point with this car.:mad: Thank goodness I have 2 other cars to get me around while the Ex visits its buddies at the dealer (both of which have over 200k on them, but no problems for the last 5 years) Maybe I should've just stuck with them.....
As mentioned in another thread, TSB repairs are only done without cost during the factory 3 year, 36K mile warranty. Usually a TSB will only be performed if the dealer is able to duplicate the issue so it is quite unlikely you can go in and ask for all known TSB's to be done.
You can take your Explorer to any dealer to have factory warranty or TSB issues carried out.
Is the extended warranty a Ford ESP? If not, then depending on what it is, you may have to return to your original dealer for any repairs required under your extended warranty.
FYI, I have a 2011 Limited and the only TSB I had done was for the 'random or uncommanded windshield wipe'. The only repairs were for a bad front right sensor and battery replacement.

Peter

Ok, this might be a dumb question but bear with me, I've never had this new of a car, or one with so many problems!:( What is the usual repair policy for TSB's?...

Hi damiensmomma,

Have you given your local dealership a call? I know they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. :)

Crystal

TSBs are not recalls (which the manufacturer must repair for free). All it is is a Service Bulletin put out by the manufacturer for more "common" issues to guide the dealership for quicker diagnostic/repair. The cost is yours as Peter said outside the 3yr/36k.

Also, be very careful with an aftermarket ESP (unless it is a Ford ESP) because there are MANY things not covered including "diagnostic time". Most aftermarket warranties only pay for the actual repair (part/labor), not the time the mechanic needs to figure out what's wrong which will be passed to you. Also, most repairs need approval from the warranty company first which at times can be painful. Lastly, the aftermarket warranty will replace parts with the cheapest they can find (not necessary OEM parts).

Fortunately my past history has been ok with an aftermarket but I won't buy one ever again (OEM only). The fact the warranty company wanted to put a Chinese radiator in my Audi (sold now) to save $42 over a factory OEM German radiator was crazy. I opted to pay the difference and put the right part in. Kind of off topic but shows you how warranty companies operate.

My best advice is if you are under the 3yr/36k still, cancel the aftermarket warranty, get the prorated amount refunded and purchase a Ford ESP. I have a contact who sells them $100 over cost if you choose to go that route.

Either way, best of luck and hope everything gets resolved.

Info for contact please.

Back