• Register Today It's free!

TT and Warrior Shackles

2000Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Parker, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I just bought the Warrior Lift Shackles (WAR153) and plan to put them on along with a Torsion Twist up front. When i jack up the front for the TT do i need to jack up the whole front or just jack up the side i am working on? same with back, with shackles? Would a normal size garage jack work for this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tellico4x4.com

part#: WAR153

i think they were $44 plus shipping

I did mine yesterday. I got about 1 3/4 inches of lift. I used a regular floor jack and only jacked up the side I was working on. It took about 30 minutes...

TexaxEx, did you need two people?

and where did you measure for the before and after measurements?

you might need two people for the shackles...you might have to have someone pull down on the leaf to get the eyes to line up so you can shove the bolt in...i had to do that with mine when i had shackles in the rear....it wouldn't hurt to have someone with an extra set of hands nearby.

thanks, i should be getting the shackles in a couple days, i cant wait!

a second person definitely helps, especially if you have an add-a-leaf in the pack. when i did my shackles, i was able to do it all by myself with the help of a hammer,floor jack and well placed 2x4's. and i was only 17 and 135lbs. Its not a hard job to tackle. the stock springs are pretty flexible. but you'll probly find that you need an aal in your pack to level the truck out. and then the springs get harder to work with (ie. take the axle out to get worked on). but even the aal's are managable on your own. i had 2 floor jacks and never unbolted the shackles, just slipped the aal in and bolted everything back up.

what is a AAL pack that will work for the 2000 2wd?

go to summitracing.com and search for add-a-leaf and then start clicking the little buttons till you get it to ford-->explorer-->2000 or its something like that. the single aal is like 36$ with shipping. you'll need new centerpins from (put hardware store here). i got mine from ACE hardware. the ones that come with the kit are too tiny and people have had problems with theres. some people have the double aal kit and i dont know where to get that from. but it adds way more lift than a aal. aal and shackles will level the truck.

if the summit search for ford explorer 2000 aal doesnt work, try different years, they all have the same leaf pack. just search for add-a-leaf on summitracing and the rest is common sense. i make things complicated and babble too much. good luck.

thanks, so if i have a TT with 1.5-2 inches the shackles and AAL will level it out?

O.K., I have been reading this thread and had some questions. I am considering the same types of modifications but am a little confused about the huge amount of over-information on this board- maybe you guys can help, and clarify this a little more for a few of us.
-oh, and please dont flame me and ask me to search, I am trying to get all of this info on one page, so that this info can be help ful to me and others, as well as to let others on this thread know exactly what you're refering to :)

How much TT can you do and make the truck sit level with just the shackles before the AAL is neccesary? does the AAL make the truck sit higher, or just stiffen up the rear for off roading? I read somewhere else that a lot of trucks sit lower in the rear due to sagging over time. where should i measure for this? to the peak of the fender? if I dont have any sagging, are the just the shackles in the rear enough to do a level 2" lift with only a TT?
Thanks a lot for the effort, it means a lot!

depending on your torsion bars(theres a rating system with letters, B(i beleive) being the stiffest and the further up the alphabet the softer they get.) if you have B bars, you can get aproximately a full 2", softer bars 1.25-1.5". do the shackles and then level the truck out by doing the TT. if you have more bolt left and can tighten more, then go for it if you want. just be warned that your front may sit higher. and then you will need the aal's. and they dont stiffen the ride too much at all, and you can still flex very well off road. these mods will easily allow you to fit 31's. do a 2" body lift and you can fit 32's, a 3" body lift and you can fit 33's. you may have to trim the fenders some if you want 32's and up.

my 2 cents is if you really want to go wheeling with your truck, do the tt/shackles(aal if you need to), then do a body lift(100$ and one days work) and save a little more for some serious tires (32 or 33's). then go shock the piss out of some jeeps at your local ohv park.

P.S. DO NOT go over 2 inches with the TT. it will cause your CV shafts to be at an extreme angle and they will wear prematurely. most people cant go over 2", but if you can.... DON'T!

its not the 2 inches that matters...its the angle of the CVs. If i remember correctly, its around 20*. I also remember that i could go over the 2 inches from stock to get to the said angle. (I dont remember the numbers as i did it a long time ago, but i know for sure that its an angle, and not a height that is the limiting factor) But yes it is very close to 2 inches.

alright thanks for the correction. i've always heard of the 2" as sort of a rule of thumb. but degrees on the CV's definitely sounds like a more precise way of getting max lift.

for the general rule of thumb it is 2 inches, for anyone who has to ask "What is a TT, and how do i do it?" they should only go 2 inches. I mean mine was like 2.2 inches or something like that, but yes 2 inches is pretty much the limit.

Thanks all for the good advice. I have my 2"BL and WAR153's are on the way, along with a TT I plan on running 32 MT/R's. After I get some perry fab N fiber front fenders I am going to go to 285's. Question about the double AAL is it worth it to do it or to buy new springs. My X has noticable sag in the left rear, I think that it is over an inch, compared to the right rear. I would rather have the load capacity rather then a smooth ride. What do you'll think

hey Norad-what BL kit did you buy and where did you get it? The only kits I can find are for the 90-94 models, and the sporttrac.

From what I have gathered the 2" BL for the 90-94 Gen I explorers will work for us with slight modification of a few of the body mounts. I hope that it fits because I ordered on from telico4x4.com along with warrior shackles (WAR 153)'s. Hoping after thanksgiving to throw on my 32 MT/R's :thumbsup: :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a little tip for thoes who will be installing their shackles themselves, use your bottle jack between the springs and the frame rail to push the spring down so that it all will line up, alot easier than trying to muscle it around :)

Back