• Register Today It's free!

TT gear puller size?

95X-PLOD-R

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer XLT 4WD
1st off - Ive read through what I think is at least MOST of the threads regarding the TT lift.

I am planning on performing said lift in the next 2-3 weeks and considering I will need to remove and reinstall one of my torsion bars, I will need to relieve the tension on said bar.

Ford wants $162 for the tool. Too much.

Ive seen many a post that indicates people are using 2 arm gear pullers to do the job. Great. But what size?

Ive seen 2, 3, 4 and 6" pullers. Ive also seen some posters indicate trouble trying to use them. I am assuming general mechanical competancy mixed with using different sized pullers are the joint reason for that.

For those that have used a gear puller for this...

1. What size did you use?

2. Do you think it was the right size? How did it go?

I've seen a bunch of messages indicate the use of a puller - it would be swell if we could get people to indicate the best size for the job so it can go into the sticky threads.

Thanks! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I used a whimpy 4" puller to pull mine out. It worked great for removing the torsion bar, but when I went to put it back in it was a pain, and the tool nearly stripped its own threads off.

Do you suppose your issue on reinstall was only due to quality of the puller, and not that you would have had better success with one of another size?

Thanks.

not that it helps but that price is WAYYYYY better than what I paid snap on for one

The problem is knowing that it can be done with a $30 gear puller and in perspective with the rest of the lift...its too much money for that part.

Considering I can make the shackles (and set them up to level the truck perfectly), and crank the front...

The cost of the lift is:

1. Tool
2. Alignment

(+ new tires.)

The lift should cost ~$100. $162 for the tool doesnt sound too good in that context.

Why do you need to unload the bar?

Anyways, I've unloaded my T-bar with a small gear puller.
Unloading the bar is the easy part. Putting it back in was a pain.

I went down to Napa and bought a 6" multi purpose puller for about $35. It works in both 2 leg and 3 leg mode, and has a lifetime warranty. I used to change out ExplorerEB96's tbars when I put her lift kit in because the crappy one that came from Superlift stripped itself on the first t-bar since they didn't harden the threads :fire:! The Napa puller worked perfectly for both removing and installing the tbars. A suggestion when installing the bars...put a clamp on the puller legs to help keep them seated properly on the frame rails.

Sounds like the 6" adjustable will be the deal. Thanks for all the responses.

BTW - I have to pull the drivers side bar as it is maxed out - no room to go up.

Here's the REAL easy fix, no puller needed at all. Jack it up on jackstands on the crossmember or frame. Remove the tire and simply unbolt your upper control arm at the ball joint. Also unbolt the shock absorber (the shock limits the travel). The only possible problem might be if you've never replaced the upper ball joint it may take some serious whacking with a BFH to get the ball joint stud out of the upper contol arm - use PB Blaster to soak it beforehand.

With the upper control arm disconnected and no shock to limit the travel, the lower control arm will swing down plenty far enough to unload all of the torsion; it will be completely loose. Then just R&R the torsion bar.

You're welcome :)

i used Gerald's method several times. i have a 2-3 arm puller, but figured out the "Gerald one step process" on my own to save time on the other side. :)

Back