TT Ride Hard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TT Ride Hard?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have toying with the idea of a body lift and TT/Shackles (who with 2nd gen. hasn't?). Of course, whenever I start talking of spending money on my autos, my fiance reminds me of wedding costs. But, this gives me time to search out good deals on what I am looking for. Ok, I'm rambling.

A friend of a friend of mine (he is a Toyo and early Bronco guy) told me that he had a friend do TT on his X and afterwards, the truck road hard as a brick. Now, I am clueless on exactly what is going on in the susp. on my front endof my truck (that is prolly a good thing), but I've never heard of any bad affects being caused by a TT. Are there any? Or did this guy just maybe take it too far? Or just full of BS?

Thanks,

Robb

mine ride a tad bit harder than before but it is still pretty soft. you'll have to go slower over speed bumps is all i can tell.

I have not noticed a change in the quality of my ride since I did the TT/Shackles. I went up right around 2". You aren't putting in stiffer springs, you're just changing the ride height. It did stiffen up when I went with the BFG's and a different set of shocks though.

I would think if you went WAY up with a TT it would begin to affect the ride because the angle of the lower A-Arm relative to the ground would be steeper, causing more vehicle weight would be transferred to the lower A-Arm joint with the frame, and less taken up by the torsion bar.

The nice thing about doing a suspension lift this way is that you can convert it back to stock if you don't like it without a lot of hassle and only a little money in it. New Warrior shackles run about $50_60. If you do lift the truck, run it for a day or two before you get an alignment (You will need an alignment) and see how you like the ride. If you don't like it, take the shackles out and sell them. You can probably get $35-$45 for a used set easy. You would only be out a couple bucks and some time.

Mine rides a bit harder with the TT, but I thought it rode too soft in the first place. The stiffening improved handling and steering feel. A lot depends on the stiffness of your torsion bars.

But like Jeff said, do the lift and if you don't like it, you can return it to stock easily.

Back