TT & Shackles, racing bad idea?

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
I race my x quite often, should I just forget about getting shackles and adjusting the torsion bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of racing you doing? dirt? track?

Raising an x at all will increase the center of gravity and tend for the body to roll alot more. Also with longer shackles and you put alot of side pressure on the leaf springs then they could twist.

Both, off-road, as well as on. (no, not on public streets) Which requires me to bring it to 80+ taking slight turns. (don't start, there has yet to be a single roll over in the past 6 years this area has been around, plenty of explorers show up.)

If doing the TT and shackles will make the vehicle less stable, I guess I'm gonna have to hold off on it until I decide to modify this more for off road.

So do you suggest I just get the normal sized tires, or get the 31's? without tt/shackles

If you want a minor lift and stiffer suspension, consider the F150 leaf upgrade (see sticky at top of page) out back to go with TT leveling in front. Also get the EE anti-sway bars and some quality tires.

When my truck had 32" Dueler Revos and the suspension set up that way, it was lifted about 1.5" higher than stock, but handled 100x better. It lost the sideways bounce over large uneven bumps and is more predictable through hard cornering. Only downside is a firmer ride. I actually liked that though. Handling was a little better with the 30" Revos I tried first. 31s should be great.

Now I have 33" Terra Grapplers and maxed TT, but the handling decreased quite a bit. Mostly because the tires have deeper tread that is much softer and squirrely.

What kinda racing is this? That does not sound sanctioned......:D

What kinda racing is this? That does not sound sanctioned......:D

True dat

I wouldn't recommend any type of racing (other than drag racing, and that still isn't recommend) with a stock to lifted explorer. Especially lifted.

I see. I wish I could find some exact shots of before and after TT/shackles with 31's, I have searched and I have come up with quite a few good results but I want more.. I'm not too sure about wanting the lift or not. Those 31s sure do fill the wheel wells up nicely though, Ford definitly should have had them as stock size.
Quick side question, on the 98.. does the speedometer have to be adjusted through a gear change (extra tooth or something like that) or is it strictly a computer setting?

Dont lift it -- too much of a hassle and cost.

You're just attacking me from all over the place aren't ya?.. I really need to figure out what I want to do with this vehicle, mod it for off-road or not.. I don't know.

You're just attacking me from all over the place aren't ya?.. I really need to figure out what I want to do with this vehicle, mod it for off-road or not.. I don't know.
Its true.. everything I do, I do it for you (Bryan Adams -- oh snaps).

I think you need to take a chill and find out exactly what you want to do with this vehicle. Or even if this is the right vehicle for you. If you're into high speed, perhaps something thats a little bit more road worthy, not a 5k lb. vehicle with a high center of gravity (thank Ford for building trucks that have a very tall cabin).

More like 3100lbs, and it's not so much about speed. I go off-road a lot, only have been stuck once, and I've had to pull people out plenty of times, I want more traction and power. And this high center of gravity roll over bs, Blah. The first gen my dad had handled damn well, I never understood all this roll over crap.

I don't know, it says 3100lbs on my registration. Now the durango on the other hand, that weighs a good 4200lbs or so.

More like 3100lbs, and it's not so much about speed. I go off-road a lot, only have been stuck once, and I've had to pull people out plenty of times, I want more traction and power. And this high center of gravity roll over bs, Blah. The first gen my dad had handled damn well, I never understood all this roll over crap.

check the door jam sticker for the vehicle weight and yeah i can't imagine ever seeing one of these explorers on their lids so why not lift it and race it?:rolleyes: my friend had an f150 lightning that he rolled which is wider and lower to the ground than an explorer but i think if it was lifted with a higher center of gravity he could definately have saved it from rolling

damn, rolled a lightning.. thats kind of hard to imagine.. they seem so... perfect.. lol

you know what, forget all that rollover and center of gravity crap, and even roll cages for that matter... just learn to drive like this guy and i think you'll be in business:

Rollovers are avoidable!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you know what, forget all that rollover and center of gravity crap, and even roll cages for that matter... just learn to drive like this guy and i think you'll be in business:

Rollovers are avoidable!

Ooo, bad idea posting that (except for that it is a sweet video). Some people might actually think they can do that and then not worry about rolling over.

Back