• Register Today It's free!

TTB Stub Shaft Outer C clip

Emsant50

Reaction score
City, State
STAFFORD SPRINGS, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 5 Speed
Here's the jist. I got Pi#$%d off having to re tighten my spindle nuts for the 100th time and overftightened the inner nut. couple days later that whole side grenaded. it was snowing out at the time an 4wd was engaged. I egged out the spindle with the stub shaft. Stub got beat up pretty good to the point where there isnt a place for the c clip. My question is this : Can I run the truck without the outer c clip on the stub shaft for a couple months? till i have the time to replace both drive shafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t. Best thing to do is go to the Warn manual hubs that drop the C clip by using different hardware.

Maybe if you don’t use 4wd at all you could get away with it.

I wouldn’t. Best thing to do is go to the Warn manual hubs that drop the C clip by using different hardware.

The manual hubs still use the C clip at the end of the axle stub shaft?
The C clip keeps the axle shaft from pulling in through the spindle as the suspension cycles
Without the splined washer and the C clip the axle shaft may wander inside the spindle and screw up the U joint alignment with the knuckle, bad things could happen. Although bad things have already happened on that side.
Couple of months may not be a good idea, especially if you are going to use 4x4 in the snow.
If you are not using 4x4 then it should be fine, with both hubs unlocked and the t case in 2wd the axle shaft is not spinning.
I would get the parts to fix it!

Why do you have to re torque your spindle nuts so often? My guess is your spindles and or the lock ring washer tab are worn out allowing back and forth movement while driving around until the outer jamb nut comes loose. The solution is a spindle with the groove not *****ed up around the threads and get a new lock ring washer that fits the spindle tightly.

Took it around the block twice and snapped the shaft. So that's that.

You are correct about the tab. When I bought it, it must be been like that and I was ignorant until I unpacked the new set I just bought.

Any recommendations where I can get replacements?

If I disconnect the driveshaft from the t case to the front I should be able to put around with it right or wrong?

20190217_120552.jpg

yes you can drive these trucks without the stub shaft in place because the spindle supports the wheel bearings even hollow

Junk yard for replacements perhaps Ebay

Back