Tune - Tips

ExplorerfrumBama

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville,AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Expl XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello all, :bounce:

I am doing a tune-up on my 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC tomorow. I need all the gas mileage I can get and its always good to do. Looks like I'm gonna be keeping this sucker awhile. So it may not have ever had a tune-up. The wires look dated. I was curious if anyone knows of any problems I can expect to come across with the 98 model. My plans are: plugs, wires, Fuel filter ( I have the removal tool ) pcv valve and air filter. Anyone know of anything I might should do other than these. I plan on purchasing a haynes manual just for the pics. It doesnt always tell you everything though. Thanks for the help! !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all, :bounce:

I am doing a tune-up on my 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC tomorow. I need all the gas mileage I can get and its always good to do. Looks like I'm gonna be keeping this sucker awhile. So it may not have ever had a tune-up. The wires look dated. I was curious if anyone knows of any problems I can expect to come across with the 98 model. My plans are: plugs, wires, Fuel filter ( I have the removal tool ) pcv valve and air filter. Anyone know of anything I might should do other than these. I plan on purchasing a haynes manual just for the pics. It doesnt always tell you everything though. Thanks for the help! !

You will want to take off the passenger side wheel well splash gaurd to get to the plugs at the rear of the engine on the passenger side with a couple differnt socket extentions. It will make those plugs a lot easier to get to.

I gave up on the fuel filter even with the quick release tool, I just couldnt get it......Make sure you release the pressure in the system before you take it off. There is a small black box with a red button in it under the dash by the passenger side right foot area in the cab. Take a screwdriver and pop that red button/tab up, you will here it click, and then turn the truck on and let it run until it dies (usually just a few seconds). Just push the button down when you are done or the truck wont start.

If your keeping the truck I would also suggest:

-Oil/Filter
-New Serpentine Belt
-Check the brakes all around
-Coolant flush/change
-Front/Rear differential fluid change
-Transfer case fluid change
-Tranny fluid/filter change
-Clean your IAC

^^^the search feature should answer any questions you have about doing all of this.

You didnt say how many miles it had but since its a 98 im assuming 100k+ so it would be in your best interest to spend the few hundred now on a full tune up and know where your at with the truck. Also I found the Haynes manuel for my year (99) to be pretty useless for a lot of things. Its for like years 92-99 ranger/mountainer/explorer and i think they did a half ass job with it just throwing the newer years in there. A factory service manual will run you quite a bit more but will be worth it in the long run.

Good Luck.

The spark plugs will be a biatch...the rear passenger side being the worst (I actually broke the ceramic but managed to keep the pieces out of the engine. Its easiest to go through the wheel wells to get to them. I did have an issue with the forward plug wire boot not fitting through a bracket...just loosened the bracket and it fit. Use the small rubber hose trick on the end of the plug when you are putting the new ones in...helps a lot with getting them threaded in. Oh ya, put anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs so you don't have to go throught the same pain as the initial removal...dielectric greas on the boots too. So, it will be very hard to get them out and the boots won't come off easy either. PB blaster will help a little in getting the plugs out. Have lots of extensions and swivels handy. I'm doing PCV valve next, so I can't help you there.
I will be doing some of what xFat suggested above in the upcoming weeks...in addition to what he said, I'm going to drop the tranny pan and change the filter, add fluid.

Hey thanks gentleman. I appreciate that. Also maybe I should alreaqdy know but whats an IAC ? ? :scratch:

Also what is the DEATH RATTLE ? Should I be worried? I have a SOHC.

Idle Air Control valve

The plugs and wires are not difficult if you go through both wheel wells.

Good luck ....

The plugs and wires are not difficult if you go through both wheel wells.
Forgive me aldive, but I beg to differ...yes going through the wheel wells is the way to go, but it was difficult...I recently did all 5 shocks and that was cake in comparison...my advice, just be patient and it should go smoothly...it will take some time, but it is very do able. Now, if the plugs have already been changed and the person who did it put anti-sieze on the threads, then yes it is easy...I will say that once you get the plug out, it is easy...its the getting the plugs to break loose is the hardest part.
I hope you didn't take offense aldive, I do respect your knowledge and advice you've given me when I've asked questions :) which has helped me out a lot (along with others on the forum)
Hayne's or Chilton manuals suck compared to this forum!!!

Forgive me aldive, but I beg to differ...yes going through the wheel wells is the way to go, but it was difficult...I recently did all 5 shocks and that was cake in comparison...my advice, just be patient and it should go smoothly...it will take some time, but it is very do able. Now, if the plugs have already been changed and the person who did it put anti-sieze on the threads, then yes it is easy...I will say that once you get the plug out, it is easy...its the getting the plugs to break loose is the hardest part.
I hope you didn't take offense aldive, I do respect your knowledge and advice you've given me when I've asked questions :) which has helped me out a lot (along with others on the forum)
Hayne's or Chilton manuals suck compared to this forum!!!

By no means did I take offence; everyone is indeed entitled to his/her opinion.

I can change all 6 plugs and wires in about 40 minutes going through the wheel wells.

I can change all 6 plugs and wires in about 40 minutes going through the wheel wells.

Cool...you're time blows away my 2 hours...lol. My plugs seemed to be cemented in :fire::banghead::frustrate. Once I got them loose it was an easy job. That was my first time doing them on an Ex; I think since I used anti-sieze and dielectric grease on the boots that I could do it in an hour or less the next time around.

LOL both your times beat my all day. I changed all plugs wires and filters. The plugs and wires I'm sure had never been changed. Or whoever changed the used OEM Motorcraft parts. They did not use ant-seize. But I did :D . So thanks alot for you advice.

When I was finished I did a walk-around while the engine was idling and noticed there was water dripping from the exhaust. Is this normal in a 98 XLT SOHC?

When I was finished I did a walk-around while the engine was idling and noticed there was water dripping from the exhaust. Is this normal in a 98 XLT SOHC?
I think it is normal, depends on how much condensation builds up in the exhaust system while its not running (I believe), mine does it, but after a few minutes and after warmed up, no water.
BTW, I think I went through the same thing you did with the plugs (they were original plugs and wires at almost 100k of mileage...now my two hours did not count jacking the car, placing jack stands, taking off the wheels and mud flaps, and gathering the tools needed.

water in the exhaust

With the whole water in the exhaust, it's a byproduct of burning fuel. Yes it's acidic, but still water... So don't drink it! lol. A sound running engine will produce as much water vapor (with the hydro carbons and NOx with it) as the amount of fuel the engine needs. This is one of the reason why cheap exhaust systems rot out over a few years. It's caused by short drives (less than 10min), because the exhaust doesn't heat up enough to burn of the excess of water. If you do longer drives, epically at highway speeds, the exhaust heats up enough and causes the water to exit as steam. Bigger engines tends to produce more water than smaller engines, due to the amount of fuel needed to run them. So to make this long answer short, is yes it's normal.

So buy a hybrid... I need all the fuel I can get. lol.

Back