Tune Up for Performance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tune Up for Performance

Howdy, this is my first post on this or any forum for that matter. I purchased an Accel 79100 programmer to improve performance on my 2005 Explorer 4.6 V8. It also has a K & N FIPK intake. I intend on installing a better flowing exhaust (cat back) soon. What I am having trouble with is finding tune up parts (ignition, sensors, etc.) that will also contribute to improving performance. Any recommendations?

From my experience, some of the performance parts - such as upgraded ignition - only work on high performance engines. You won't see too much of a gain on a fairly stock motor.

Your money would be better spent on OEM parts for maintenance/tune up, and looking at underdrive pullies, performance intake (which I see you have), a chip/programmer (which I see you also have), and a power adder such as nitrous or a supercharger. I haven't looked into it myself, but with the Mustang also having the 4.6L, I'm thinking that some of the performance parts from the Mustang are interchangeable for us.

-Melon

Thank you for the response. I'm going to take your advice and finish what I have started. After the exhaust and re-programming, if I still want a little more juice I'll look at a turbo or supercharger. Thanks again.

Back