• Register Today It's free!

Tune Up Help

etn160

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I am going to change the plugs and wires on my '97 explorer 4.0 OHV this weekend. Do I need to do anything else to tune it up or will the computer adjust everything automatically. Also, I have the 5r55e trans. and am changing the fluid and filter on is there any tips or tricks that I should be aware of? I appreciate any help I can get as I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your air filter. If it's dirty, replace it (or clean it if you've got a reusable).

Also, if this is the first time you've changed plugs, it can be a pretty difficult experience changing out the one on the passenger side nearest to the firewall. Several people on the board say that getting to it is easiest by coming up from the left front wheel well. I assume that means jacking it up and removing the wheel. I didn't know about that tip, and I wound up practically climbing into the engine bay to get to it.

The whole job took me over an hour! My Neon takes like 5 minutes. <g> Next time, I'm trying the wheel well trick.

--Steve

Might be the time to change all fluids too.

I would definately reset the computer after the tune up/

What plugs and wires are you gonna use?

Thanks for the help. I am going to use the Ford plugs and wires. I don't know what the plugs should be gapped at or how tight to put them in the engine. Also, when you said to reset the computer how or where would I do that? Thanks for the help.

To reset the computer, simply disconnect the neg battery cable for about 20 min,

Get the specs on your plugs from the place you purchase them.

Good luck.....

Back