Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have a ASE certified mechanic coming to my house to do my tune-up. He is going to buy 6 autolite plugs and a good brand of wireing harneed. Should he also get a fuel filter and is that hard to put in? he is charging me 80 for the tune-up and I will buy the parts, around 36 for the plugs and 35 for the wireing harness. While we are doing the tuneup is there anything else we need to look at under the hood? I sure hope that CEL light goes off after the tuneup..if not the next step is the coil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never a good idea to blindly replace parts without testing the check engine light. Take it to autozone. They usually read the codes for free. Once thats done you will make your life a lot easier. With 135k miles on your truck it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter. Some one with expirence should be able to do it in about 5 minutes. Might want to check all fluids as well.

Your ASE mechanic may be doing exactly what you ask of him but he should be suggesting that MIL code check before throwing parts at it!

x2 on the fuel filter. Check and clean/replace the pcv valve also. it doesn't like to be neglected and will let you know so eventually. It's cheap ...... clean or replace.

Thanks guys...I told my mechanic to bring a fuel filter along which is about 7 dollars or so. Probably cheaper. We are going to examine the plug once they come out to see if any was wrong with them. I hope after the tune0up plugs and 6 spark plugs will stop my check engine light. I am also going to have him put on the new fuel filter.

....... I hope after the tune0up plugs and 6 spark plugs will stop my check engine light.Very unlikely, in my mind. I am also going to have him put on the new fuel filter.Always a good idea. I agree that going in and replacing parts blindly is not cost-effective, unless very lucky, or EVERYTHING is being replaced. imp

x100927379486 about getting the code read.

Always a good idea to replace the fuel filter on a used vehicle. Very easy to do with the right tool.

Get the codes read!!!!

x100927379487 on reading the codes.

New plugs aren't going to clear a CEL. What brand of wires are you putting on?

He replaced plugs 1 and 6 and tested the wires and all seem to be getting sparks. The truck runs much smoother now, but every so often it will rattle and shake for a short time. He is telling me I need a new ignition Coil we are going step by step until we find the problem

Has he read the codes to get the ignition diagnostic? Seriously- read them before you keep throwing parts at it- ford ignition modules very rarely go bad, especially at 135k.

OK, Then where do I go next to fix the problem? The fuel Injectors, or the fuel filter/pump, any other things I could look at?

here are the codes I am getting after changing the plugs and testing the wire:

P0175, P301, P303, P305, P0306, P 0171

I think it is used to consider by most of the technicians as a part of any minor engine tune up, to change the filters (gas, oil and fuel) and change the oil, as well as all liquids levels, maybe each 10k miles.

If it is a major engine tune up, maybe at 30k miles, just add the injectors cleaning and spark plugs. Also I would recomend the sea foam cleaning.

Also I agree with Joe Dirt, first thing he must confirm is to get the codes from the CEL, there is a big bounche of things that could be causing the CEL to go on besides of just tunning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back