• Register Today It's free!

tune up/ upgrades v8 5.0

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
hey guys i have finally really become active on this site. and its really enjoyable!

i got around to doing some painting, and mods on my truck.
i was thinking if im doing all this work maybe i should do some useful mods to help tune her up. these are a list of mods i have read about that seem like will either improve mpg (important) or just improve overal running of the truck.

i have a 2000 mountaineer awd v8 5.0L

1. TPS mod
2. 02 sensors
3. i have new plugs, not sure if i have new wires.
4. mac cold air intake
5. electric fan
6. tune/ chip... i am confused on exactly what this means or how i do it.
7. replace all fluids with synthetic (oils done already) so tranny/ transfer case
8. coolant flush
9. brake fluid flush?
10. swiss cheese air box instead of cold air intake
11. the bauman???

this is the list i have complied. just tell me what mods are worth my time, are pointless, and which ones will be the best bang for my buck. the cheaper and more efficent are the best. i will probably do the fluids, and tps mod this fall for sure. but looking for some advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tune, headers. Neither of those meet your criteria of cheap, but to be honest, there aren't many other cheap things you can do.

Only other cheap thing is changing your driving habits. Watch how you use that noise pedal. Google hypermiling. Some of the things they do are dumb, like tight drafting behind semis and super over-inflated tires. But other stuff is just common sense. Don't hold the gas pedal all the way to the stop light, let yourself coast to a stop. Don't speed up when you anticipate a stop even, just ride slow to that light and let it change to green. Pressing your brakes wastes the gas you used accelerating, the less you use them, the less gas you wasted.

Yea headers are a no go. A tune maybe.

I do usually drive pretty relaxed doing that.

From your list though?

1. TPS mod -- Only helps if your throttle cable is loose
2. 02 sensors -- Only if your O2 Sensors are bad
3. i have new plugs, not sure if i have new wires. -- Usually they are replaced at the same time, but they are cheap if you want to throw a new set on
4. mac cold air intake -- Won't do a lot, but might effect some miniscule improvement. Most of the improvement from an intake is on the top end and the top end alone, but the smooth tube does help cut down on turbulence and reduces pumping losses very slightly
5. electric fan -- Hard to fit in a 5.0
7. replace all fluids with synthetic (oils done already) so tranny/ transfer case -- Should show some miniscule improvements. Don't expect much.
8. coolant flush -- If your coolant is dirty, yes. In fact, it is good maintenance anyway. I do it to cars every couple years as regular maintenance
9. brake fluid flush? -- Is your fluid bad? You should flush it every couple years, but it won't improve fuel economy. It will make your brake calipers last longer and cut down on rusting for your brake lines.
10. swiss cheese air box instead of cold air intake -- Won't really do anything regardless of what people say.
11. the bauman??? The huh?

From your list though?

1. TPS mod -- Only helps if your throttle cable is loose
2. 02 sensors -- Only if your O2 Sensors are bad
3. i have new plugs, not sure if i have new wires. -- Usually they are replaced at the same time, but they are cheap if you want to throw a new set on
4. mac cold air intake -- Won't do a lot, but might effect some miniscule improvement. Most of the improvement from an intake is on the top end and the top end alone, but the smooth tube does help cut down on turbulence and reduces pumping losses very slightly
5. electric fan -- Hard to fit in a 5.0
7. replace all fluids with synthetic (oils done already) so tranny/ transfer case -- Should show some miniscule improvements. Don't expect much.
8. coolant flush -- If your coolant is dirty, yes. In fact, it is good maintenance anyway. I do it to cars every couple years as regular maintenance
9. brake fluid flush? -- Is your fluid bad? You should flush it every couple years, but it won't improve fuel economy. It will make your brake calipers last longer and cut down on rusting for your brake lines.
10. swiss cheese air box instead of cold air intake -- Won't really do anything regardless of what people say.
11. the bauman??? The huh?

so your essentially telling me besides maintaince... fluids... that its pointless to do any of those and i should just save my money?

Pretty much. A well maintained vehicle will save you more money in the long run than trying to save a half mile per gallon by spending money on modifications.

I got an MAF adapter off ebay and used a 3" cone filter I had new in box lying around in replace of the stock airbox. Only reason I did this was because I needed to change my filter. Slight improvement in throttle response, as well as noise, but I wouldn't invest much more then the $15 I spent on the MAF adapter.

that list is worthless. if you wanted a fuel efficient vehicle, you started with the wrong vehicle. v8 awd suv's drink gas, period.

remember this rule :

you can only pick 2 of the following

fast...cheap...reliable

that list is worthless. if you wanted a fuel efficient vehicle, you started with the wrong vehicle. v8 awd suv's drink gas, period.

remember this rule :

you can only pick 2 of the following

fast...cheap...reliable

What can I do to my explorer if I pick fast and cheap?

that rule is for the whole car, not just mods. heres a better one..

speed costs money, how fast you wanna go

Here's a good start. $400 bucks at today's prices for a huge bump in performance if you have a 5.0. The stock cam is pretty good for better fuel economy and drive-ability, and it makes a lot of torque at low RPMs, but...

http://www.section525.com/xpage/camshaft/index.html

I've got an e-cam, and even though it is a really mild cam, it is a pretty big difference. I honestly get roughly the same mileage with that cam as with my stock cam, though I might go with a different cam.

Switching to a manual transfer case is another good direction to go. It can be done for only a hundred bucks if you get everything from the pick and pull. Even if you have to spend a little money to do it, you still won't be into it for a whole lot of money. It won't increase your power, but the AWD transfer case really sucks up a lot of power.

A tuner is a great choice if you are looking for power or fuel economy. And they aren't that expensive either.

Check a mustang board for more power adder ideas. There aren't a lot of things you can do for under a couple hundred bucks that will really do anything though, if that is what you are looking for. Things like optimizing the throttle body, port matching, cone filter or an intake... but none of those things are going to give you a lot.

Not a lot on a stock engine. But, there are definite improvements. I would think almost 1mpg gain wouldn't be an exaggeration on these engines, but I am only guessing based on experience, and what knowledge I have of the stock tuning strategy.

Who you are getting your tune from is really the most important part. Search on this site for Henson performance for information, otherwise the tunes SCT offers on the Ford XCal could probably net you 5-10 HP on regular unleaded. You will see a lot more benefits when combined with other mods from a tune. By itself, it is not going to do a lot.

you can have more hp or more mpg....cant have both

Wanna bet? A mild or not really aggressive tune can give you a bump in power and fuel economy, especially if you are tuning for aftermarket modifications that aren't really being fully utilized by the stock tune.

So ET wise, for $400 what would I gain?

HP wise 10-15?

mpg wise, 1?

For $400 bucks, it doesn't seam like a good investment...

Like I said, much more worthwhile when you have more mods.

So what mods would make a tuner worthwhile?

anything that changes air going into or out of the motor. intake/heads/headers/exhaust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anything that changes air going into or out of the motor. intake/heads/headers/exhaust

So would I need a $400 Tuner for a $40 K&N or $60 aftermarket muffler on these vehicles? Are you saying gaining an 1/8th of a hp over the 1/2 I gained with those mods make the tuner worth while over the 1mpg and 5-10hp over stock?

Are you saying it's worthwhile then?

Back